Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2005 1:52:07 PM EDT
I posted about this in GD and decided that when I update about her, I'm going to keep it in here.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer on April 7th.  The cancer didn't spread to the lymph nodes and she started her chemo today.  My grandpa told me that the doctor said she may experience some vommiting and it may seem that nothing tastes good to her. He also said that it will take 24 to 48 hours to get the full effects of the chemo.

My aunt (grandpa's sister) is in town for this which I know is helping all of us.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What type of Chemo is she getting?  There are some that are pretty mild and cause some upset stomachs and shedding and then there are those that are pretty hard.

Patty

*ETA* Thank you too for the update, I'll continue my prayers for her.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Patty...this is what my grandpa's email said about the medicine.

"The chemotherapy Dr. Christie recommends is what is called AC* + Paclitaxel (dose dense = every 2 weeks). Specifically: AC* stands for Adriamycin (aka Doxorubicin) + Cytoxan (aka Cyclophosphamide).  Throughout her treatment, Christina will also take – among other things - white blood cells boosters, such as Neulasta, Avanesp, and/or Pocrit to counter anemia/other as serious side effects."
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Frtloop. I'll keep her and your grandpa in my prayers. It will be a rough road for both of them, but one that will come out good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"The chemotherapy Dr. Christie recommends is what is called AC* + Paclitaxel (dose dense = every 2 weeks). Specifically: AC* stands for Adriamycin (aka Doxorubicin) + Cytoxan (aka Cyclophosphamide).  Throughout her treatment, Christina will also take – among other things - white blood cells boosters, such as Neulasta, Avanesp, and/or Pocrit to counter anemia/other as serious side effects."

Okay they're really going to sock it to her so I would recommend if possible about 48 hours after a treatment someone being there with her to help her through the tough time.  Of course everyone reacts to things differently and hopefully she'll fly through this with flying colors but to be on the safe side, I would try to arrange my schedule.

Patty

PS it sounds as if your grandma's cancer is estrogen based?  
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay they're really going to sock it to her so I would recommend if possible about 48 hours after a treatment someone being there with her to help her through the tough time.  Of course everyone reacts to things differently and hopefully she'll fly through this with flying colors but to be on the safe side, I would try to arrange my schedule.

Patty

PS it sounds as if your grandma's cancer is estrogen based?  

I'm not sure about it being estrogen based.

As far as someone being with her, my grandfather will be with her and my aunt too.  i'll be there as much as I can.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
prayers heading that way
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Thoughts and prayers sent!

Have them ask about anti-nausea meds to be prescribed BEFORE each chemo treatment (given ~20 minutes prior to treatment). That's the protocol at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston and it seems to prevent nausea effectively. Better to prevent the problem than dealing with it when someone can't keep anything down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#10]
My grandma had her first treatment not too long ago.  She hasn't had any vomitting yet.  But she gets very nauseous.  She loves garlic and can't even stand the smell anymore.  She said that at some times, she feels great and a moment later she'll feel as sick as a dog.  She can't go out to eat because of the smell of fat in all of them.

Other than that, she's doing great.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm praying for her, mamita!
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My Mom will soon be going thru chemo as well.  I feel your concern and offer up prayers for both.  How nice that you can be there a bit.  Wishing you strength and courage to help her along.  

Take Care!
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Prayers and thoughts.
For both of you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Prayers sent.

+2
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw my grandmother today.  She got her hair cut really short and said that she is already starting to lose her hair.  However, she said that that is the worst so far.  She is starting her second treatment tomorrow.

OH!!  And she was showing us her reports today.  She saw her doctor for a check-up today and her white blood count was up to 10.2 which her doctor said was really high and her red blood count was up to 4.02 which her doctor said was really high too.

So, he was saying that he was really suprised and that it was very rare for them to be that high so soon.  She's very happy as are we.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I saw my grandmother today.  She got her hair cut really short and said that she is already starting to lose her hair.  However, she said that that is the worst so far.  She is starting her second treatment tomorrow.

OH!!  And she was showing us her reports today.  She saw her doctor for a check-up today and her white blood count was up to 10.2 which her doctor said was really high and her red blood count was up to 4.02 which her doctor said was really high too.

So, he was saying that he was really suprised and that it was very rare for them to be that high so soon.  She's very happy as are we.

Excellent news!
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent news!

Yea...it sure does make all of us feel better about this.

And she is so silly about the whole thing.  She said that when her hair really starts falling out, she isn't going to wear a wig.  She will just stick to wearing a hat.  She told us that there is always something good in everything that happens.  And now that its getting hot, her head won't get as hot.

Haha!  She cracks me up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I decided to add a pic or two of my grandmother.  She's looking great.  And to put it plainly, she's kicking cancer's ass.

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I decided to add a pic or two of my grandmother.  She's looking great.  And to put it plainly, she's kicking cancer's ass.

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/platinum0604jnp/DSC02930.jpg

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/platinum0604jnp/DSC02929.jpg

Wow, that's your grandmother?!?!

She doesn't look like a grandma, and she surely doesn't look like she had cancer.  

Go grandma!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

She doesn't look like a grandma, and she surely doesn't look like she had cancer.  

Go grandma!!

Haha!!  That's funny you say she doesn't look like a grandma.  When I was younger (3-5) my mom would tell me something about her and I would look at her and say, "She isn't my grandma!!!  She doesn't have white hair!!"
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go grandma!!

Haha!!  That's funny you say she doesn't look like a grandma.  When I was younger (3-5) my mom would tell me something about her and I would look at her and say, "She isn't my grandma!!!  She doesn't have white hair!!"

She just looks so young!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go grandma!!

She just looks so young!

She is....she is only in her late 50s.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go grandma!!

She just looks so young!

She is....she is only in her late 50s.

No no no... she looks younger'n that.  Like 30's.  She's smokin'.    I do hope she's feeling alright though.  They really do lose the sense of taste with the treatment and makes eating no fun so I hear from a guy at work who's going through cancer treatment.

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No no no... she looks younger'n that.  Like 30's.  She's smokin'.    I do hope she's feeling alright though.  They really do lose the sense of taste with the treatment and makes eating no fun so I hear from a guy at work who's going through cancer treatment.

She has said that her taste has changed a lot.  And she gets nauseous when it comes to anything with garlic in it (which she LOVES!!)

But, other than that, she is doind great.  She has the best attitude about it.  She was at the store the other day and was just the funniest lady.  She was cracking jokes about the scarf that she wears and how she can't find cute enough hats to wear.  She's amazing.  I look up to her so much and this has made her an even better person.  I had no idea that was possible with her.

She has always been optimistic about everything and is even more so now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She has said that her taste has changed a lot.  And she gets nauseous when it comes to anything with garlic in it (which she LOVES!!)

But, other than that, she is doind great.  She has the best attitude about it.  She was at the store the other day and was just the funniest lady.  She was cracking jokes about the scarf that she wears and how she can't find cute enough hats to wear.  She's amazing.  I look up to her so much and this has made her an even better person.  I had no idea that was possible with her.

She has always been optimistic about everything and is even more so now.

http://www.headcovers.com/item.php?next=20&cat=Hats+%26+Turbans

The website above has LOTS of hats specifically for cancer survivors.  I apologize, I never posted a link that worked.  LOL.  So just copy and paste into browser if interested.

Keeping the spirits up is important.  Laughter is medicine afterall.  There is a lady at work, Joyce, who never ceases to amaze me.  She went through cancer treatment, and smiled the whole time.  She's passing kidney stones NOW and you'd never know it if she didn't tell you.  She smiles constantly and just keeps her chin up.  I know that's hard to do, but wallowing in ones self pity doesn't help anything.  I'm proud of Joyce, and your way-hot-grandma.  They are a special kinda woman!  Give her lots of hugs for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Thank you so much for the link LaBelle.  I am definietly going to show it to here and talk to her about them.  I might even buy her one and bring it over to suprise her.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Thank you so much for the link LaBelle.  I am definietly going to show it to here and talk to her about them.  I might even buy her one and bring it over to suprise her.  

Yeah some of them are pretty cool looking- they're supposed to be soft inside too, so they don't hurt her sensitive skin.  Glad I could help!!

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Prayers for your grandma. She is looking great and love that smile on her face. You can see her inner strength shine through! She's lucky to have such a great granddaughter as well!
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Prayers for Grandma. She looks great.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Prayer said.  What a great smile she has!
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, I agree w/everyone else, your grandma doesn't look like she COULD be your grandma unless you're like 3-1/2

For the nausea, might also want to try ginger candy... it's been "tested" (well GINGER was - not the candy, I just figure the candy is more palitable/easier) as more effective for MOTION sickness (I know, not the same thing, but similar) and a lady at my church said it helped w/hers more than the meds the docs tried, when she was doing chemo. So worth a shot...

(She looks like she can take, or even LIKES slightly hot stuff ;) (Spicy hot).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven't updated in a while so I thought I would update now.

My grandma has two more chemo treatments left and then she starts with radiation.  She is still doing as great as ever.  She's been staying home from work more often now but she's still optimistic about this whole thing and still the happiest person I've ever met.

Nothing has gotten too bad for her.  Her doctor actually said that she isn't getting the side effects as bad as the typical patient does.  Which makes him feel like she is going to tackle this without a problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#33]
that is so good to hear. Keep us updated on how she does.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Great news. Give her some extra hugs from us gals here
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm glad things are going well.  Hang in there.  The initial diagnosis is hard.  I lost my mother to breast cancer a year and a half ago, and it needn't have happened if she had kept on top of her screenings like she should have.  The fact that they caught your grandma's before it spread is really good news for her.  The survival rates these days are awesome when it is caught quickly.  My thoughts and prayers are with her.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top