Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 1:42:34 PM EDT
Greetings,

I know this is a very general topic, but I'd like to get an idea, straight from the women who post here, about what type of handguns they like to own, shoot, and perhaps carry.

A few years ago, I purchased a Sig Sauer p226/9mm for my fiance to shoot.  She actually picked it out, because she like the grip.  But since then, many issues have risen that were not easily foreseen at the time.  These are some of the issues:

Traditional Double Action
The Sig p226 handgun we purchased has the "traditional double action", which means first pull is heavy and every other pull is light.  We were aware of this at the time we purchased the pistol, but thought that it wouldn't be a big issue since she'd only be using it at the range.  At the range, she shoots the Sig only in single action (light pull).  But if she were ever to carry this pistol, she would have to carry it with the hammer uncocked, and if ever had the need to use it, she'd have to use that horrible double action first pull.  
Question: Have you ladies here had experience with these "traditional double action" pistols, and were you able to adapt to them?

Weight of Pistol
The Sig we purchased has an alloy frame, but it is still quite hefty.  My fiance has trouble stabilizing the Sig for lengthy periods at the range, and often complains that it's just too heavy to keep it lifted and balanced.  Have you ladies experienced similiar problems with heavy guns?  
Question: Does the heft of the pistol aid you in balancing and controlling the pistol, or is it a hinderence?

Just today, my fiance and I went to the gunstore.  We brought our Sig 226, and looked at some new guns in the shop.  We looked at: Glock 19, Glock 17, Glock 26, and a Sig p228.  I've been taking a hard look at the Glocks, since they seem to offer a good solution to the two problems that I mentioned above.  They are much lighter than the Sig 226 we own, more compact, and have a consistent trigger pull that behaves much like the Sig in single action.  In addition, they just seem more simple and user-friendly, as there's no hammer to cock or decock.  My fiance seemed to favor the Glock model 19.
Question: Do you ladies have any experience with Glocks, and what is your impression of them?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Many thanks for your time!

-Jim and April
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, here goes....

I currently own an HK USP9 and a Beretta 92 Brigadier.  I have had to find a balance for myself between weight and recoil.  I do not like light pistols because the frame doesn't take much of the recoil and instead transfers the recoil to my arms and back.  I was in a car accident a while back and my back was broken, so I had to find a gun that would take the recoil for me.  This has also limited me to 9mm, any higher caliber is too much for me to practice with long at the range.  I decided that it was better for me to be able to practice with my pistol on a regular basis and get good at it than have a large caliber that I would never want to shoot.

I love both my HK and my Beretta.  The Beretta is heavier but has almost no recoil while the HK is lighter with a tad bit more, but nothing unmanageable.  However, these are relatively expensive options, so...

I also love Glock 17s and Springfield Armory's XD's.  Again, very little recoil for me and a pleasure to shoot, the Glock is single action and I found to be very easy to learn to use and handle, along with being a viable, less expensive alternative.  I also enjoyed the Beretta Tomcat and Makarovs, they are lighter, easy to fit into a purse, although have a bit more recoil.

About the SA vs DA question, alas, I don't have to worry about it as I live in a state where you have to be a celebrity to be able to carry.  Hope this helps!

Tiff
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My Sig 239 9mm is, and always has been my personal sized favorite.

Compacts and Full size are owned, but out of the question for personal or off-duty carry. They are just too big and bulky and why bother.

My new best friend as far as weapons are concerned...the S&W Airlight. It is ultra light, easily concealed and packs a powerful .357 punch.

To answer the questions...

As far as double only....I LOVE a heavy trigger. I don't know, it's just something about the whole getting to really know your weapon thing that happens when I squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze the trigger...so adaptability is just personal ability or preference. It is entirely possible and perhaps pleasing as well.

Heft of the pistol is controlled by the brain.  Practice until the pull of the trigger becomes a natural event and anything can be controlled. I have tiny hands and have no issues with this. Establish good habits with your stance, and go from there...

Glocks...I should not comment. I don't like them. The grip is too thick for my wee little hands. I can shoot through the same hole with one, but there is just something about them that does not settle well with me.  

Good luck! The more womenz interested in boomerz the better!

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I practice/carry/sleep with :) a Beretta 92FS.  When I pratice at the range or at home I remove my carry loads and replace with hardball so the slide is always back/open.  When I pop in the new mag. and hit the slide release a round is chambered and the hammer is back.  So I never have a problem with a first long/hard trigger pull.  If she is ever in a situation (God Forbid) that she has to pull on a Dbl action I doubt that she is going to notice a thing in pull lbs.  I totally agree with what the others said with weight/recoil.  SigZiggy is not a novice and she obviously can handle an AirLite.  I hate to see guys buy those for their novice women because I think it can 'scare' them off when they take them out to practice.  I have and used to carry a snubby .357 that I loved, I would practice with .38 and carry .357, but then you are talking about that 'pull' every shot unless she gets used to pulling the hammer back every time and then you can loose site pic, etc.  I don't like Glocks.  Have no real reason in tech terms, just don't care for them.  HK are well HK, I don't see how you could really go wrong IMHO.
 As far as the weight, and keeping the firearm 'up' while practicing, I would say suck it up lol just kidding.  Try having her change her stance, she should be trying all different styles and making up a few of her own.  Bad guys/gals don't wait for you to find your perfect shooting position.  BTW I thought that the description between single/double action was sweet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I would HIGHLY recommend having her try out the Sig 239 in either 9mm or .40 S&W (which can then eventually be swapped for a .357 SIG barrel if she ever wants to).  

Weighing in at 25.2 and 27.4 oz respectively, with a mag weight of 2.4 oz, it is light enough to not become tedious to shoot (I spent several hours at the range and never had an issue) yet heavy enough to be able to control while shooting. Not to mention it is also the perfect size for personal carry even on a woman's smaller frame.

As far as I'm concerned, one can never own enough Sig's, so having two wouldn't be such a bad thing
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm shopping, so big fat tag so I can take notes.  

We have a Llama .45 which I like to shoot.  I love the weight!  It's nice and thick and when I hold it I KNOW it's there.    But the size does concern me for cc so I'm not sure I'll carry it when my permit comes in.   Oh well, that just means I get to shop!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#6]
My baby right now is ym Beretta 8000 Cougar (as pictured in my avatar).

Shooting - I like any 9mm, Sig226 being the easiest for me to shoot thus yet.  I do like .45 as well, but I just haven't gotten used to them yet.  I've only been shooting for a year now.

Carrying - it is damn near possible to get concealed carry in CA and quite frankly I just don't have the time money, nor am I actually 21.  Once I get the hell out of this place and move to a more gun-friendly state (Texas is looking best right now),  I'll definitely get a permit; then I'll be taking suggestions from the wise ladies here as to what they recommend and where to conceal it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep the size of her hand in mind.  I prefer a fatter grip than my husband because I have longer fingers.

Also, please don't poke fun, but I have an affinity for revolvers, but hey, I also like rotary phones and record players.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife chose the Glock19 as her handgun for the house. Added night sights and a flashlight. She is deadly accurate. She liked the weight and feel. Not to big and not to small. Her AR is a fluted barrel 16" carbine, night sights and flashlight.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
if the double action is too much, then definetly look at a single action type gun.
a compact or even subcompact glock would be good, a (4" barrel) commander or (3" barreled) officer sized 1911 would be excellent too. para ord makes them in single and double stack frames, and should make them in 40 and 9mm, if you get the 9mm version you can later swap out the 9mm barrel for a 38super, just add mags.
if you really want to spend the money ...like $1400 then get a HK P7M8, single action, single stack, 9mm. used ones are cheaper around $800, but they are a dream to shoot, and she will out shoot you .

try looking at the walther PPK or makarov in 9x18(the best under $200 gun) or sig230 in .380.
cant go too wrong with a good S&W 4" 38spcl, i would stay away from the super light weight alloy frames, the recoil with full power loads would be difficult even for a guy like me.
a good S&W revolver can be tuned up and smoothed out by a good smith.

there are also compact CZ 75s which are SA/DA, and can be cocked and locked in 9 or 40. CZ has a new small gun called a RAMI.

lots of choices so let the fondling process begin
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is an idea. Try cocking the hammer with the off hand thumb as you draw from the holster. It is something i've been practicing on for a while. Not saying it will work for you and yours, just a technique. I will agree with the statement that if she has to use the weapon to defend herself, I don't think she is going to notice the dbl action pull.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I loooooooooove my .22 smith and wesson when I go out shooting.  Can shoot it all day 'n never get tired of holding it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Bersa 380.  I love it.  The only thing I hate is the safety.  It's a bitch to turn off if you're in a hurry.  But the first trigger pull is a little stiffer so it's alright to keep the safety off as long as no little ones can get to it.  

Anyways... The_Beer_Slayer has a handgun that I favor BIG TIME!! I don't remember what it was though...Hmmm I know it was a 9mm.

P.S-Don't mess with me, my double shots without sights are ALWAYS Head then Groin   heheh

ETA:: The double action is a little hahrder to get used to but it will make life easier if your safety is a pain like mine.  But if you get used to the gun, you will be expecting the hard pull and be prepared
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would HIGHLY recommend having her try out the Sig 239 in either 9mm or .40 S&W (which can then eventually be swapped for a .357 SIG barrel if she ever wants to).  

Weighing in at 25.2 and 27.4 oz respectively, with a mag weight of 2.4 oz, it is light enough to not become tedious to shoot (I spent several hours at the range and never had an issue) yet heavy enough to be able to control while shooting. Not to mention it is also the perfect size for personal carry even on a woman's smaller frame.

As far as I'm concerned, one can never own enough Sig's, so having two wouldn't be such a bad thing

+1

Of the 3 female friends I've taken shooting lately and let handle multiple pistols, 2 liked the Sig P239 .40 best of anything I had greater than .22LR, and 1 liked the Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag best (and the Sig P239 .40 as a close second).  The .22 doesn't count - it's altogether too fun to shoot.

As far as traditional double action goes, I tend to prefer it - all the guns, revolver and semiauto alike will fire their first shot the same - a long pull - no messing with this, that, or the other safety, and there is more protection from an ND with a heavier pull than a lighter, and while there are no excuses for an ND, a little extra safety - particularly when under stress/adrenaline - doesn't strike me as a bad thing.  The transition to single action on the semi's is something I don't even notice anymore, but I'm an experienced shooter.

My recommendation - take her to a range that rents guns, and let her try several, just as a comparison.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#16]
ok, I like my .357 S&W revolver, I also have a SA XD 9 subcompact can shoot all day and most of all I like my Ruger P345 have no problems handling it. Once I get out of NJ it would be what I carry.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I own a .357 magnum, snub-nosed revolver. My dad gave it to me for my birthday. I love it.
I'm still waiting for my concealed permit to carry, so it's sitting in my drawer right now.

I believe it has double action but I can't be sure.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]
MY wife used to carry an NAA Guardian .32, but recently changed up to a Beretta Tomcat .32.

She is a small girl, and had problems racking the slide on the Guardian. The hammer was chewing up her thumb as well. She  did not want to carry a revolver, so she settlet on the Tomcat.

She can maintain the tomacat , it has flip up barrel where you can chamber a round with ease. I think its a good pistol for a Lady who can't handle a big gun. She can fire my .45, and my AR, but pulling the trigger isnt the most difficult thing to do.

I much rather have her carry a Glock 26/27, but for close quarters engagement, the Tomcat (.380)  will do the job.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have a Bersa 380.  I love it.  The only thing I hate is the safety.  It's a bitch to turn off if you're in a hurry.  But the first trigger pull is a little stiffer so it's alright to keep the safety off as long as no little ones can get to it.  

Anyways... The_Beer_Slayer has a handgun that I favor BIG TIME!! I don't remember what it was though...Hmmm I know it was a 9mm.

P.S-Don't mess with me, my double shots without sights are ALWAYS Head then Groin   heheh

ETA:: The double action is a little hahrder to get used to but it will make life easier if your safety is a pain like mine.  But if you get used to the gun, you will be expecting the hard pull and be prepared

That would be his CZ darling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top