Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2004 11:16:02 AM EDT
I have historically dated primarily red-heads and ended up marrying one.  My first love, my wife, even my current boss-lady.  

Serious business - why are you red-headed, truly red-headed, gals so crazy (in comparison to womenz of other hair type)!?  Is there some kind of scientific evidence?  Seriously.  (crazy in good ways as well as bad, of course)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
We need to start a support group. I'm married to an irish redhead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

agreed
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Persephone is a red head.

eta - But she is not crazy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]

It's a pain being ginger

People with red hair are more susceptible to pain, according to doctors.
Research carried out in the United States suggests that redheads need 20% more anaesthesia than people with other hair colour.

Doctors believe that genes which are responsible for red hair also have a role in managing pain.

In a nutshell, redheads are likely to experience more pain

Dr Edwin Liem

They said the findings could have important implications for patients who are undergoing surgery.

Dr Edwin Liem, of the University of Louisville in Kentucky, studied the effects of an inhaled anaesthetic called desflurane on women between the ages of 19 and 40.

Reflex movement

Their physical responses to the drug were closely monitored. In particular, Dr Liem looked out for unconscious reflex arm or leg movements in response to painful stimulation.

He found that women with red hair needed more of the drug to stop these reflex movements compared to those with dark or blond hair.

"In a nutshell, redheads are likely to experience more pain from a given stimulus and therefore require more anaesthesia to alleviate that pain," he said.

Dr Liem said the findings could be explained by genetics, and in particular variations in the melanocortin 1 receptor which is linked to red hair.

He said the discovery could help scientists to find out more about how the body manages pain.

"Since red hair can be traced to particular mutations in the melanocortin 1 receptor, we now have the opportunity to evaluate central nervous system pathways that may influence or mediate anaesthetic requirement," Dr Liem said.

"Investigating the role of melanocortin system in the central nervous system is thus likely to help us understand fundamental questions such as which systems in the brain produce unconsciousness and which modulate pain perception."

He added: "Red hair is the first visible human trait, or phenotype, that is linked to anaesthetic requirement."

Dr Liem said scientists do not fully understand how anaesthesia works but suggested that this latest study could offer clues.

"The art and science of anaesthesiology is choosing the right dose," he said.

"There is very little difference between the effective dose and the toxic dose of most anaesthetics.

"Patients can awaken during surgery if they are given insufficient anaesthesia or suffer cardiac and pulmonary complications when they are given too much."

The findings were presented to a meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists in Orlando, Florida.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
<---married to a red head, and I know exactly what you mean.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
THE SOLE REASON I LOVE  RED HEADS IS GILLIAN ANDERSON

OH I WISH I WISH I COULD MARRY HER!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#7]
nationwide is.... intrigued.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

oh and the post about redheads and pain is complete BULLSHIT

My wife is the most pain tolerant person I have ever met, with the exception of my youngest son, who is also a red head!

The wifey has taken kidney stones in stride among other painful things, acted as if NATURAL childbirth wasn't all that bad.

My youngest son used to let his older brother drag him around by his HAIR....said it was fun....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

oh and the post about redheads and pain is complete BULLSHIT

My wife is the most pain tolerant person I have ever met, with the exception of my youngest son, who is also a red head!

The wifey has taken kidney stones in stride among other painful things, acted as if NATURAL childbirth wasn't all that bad.

My youngest son used to let his older brother drag him around by his HAIR....said it was fun....

Actually, my bride is a redhead. Her doctor told us it is true. The research proves it. Now, some people can tolerate pain better than others....

I think redheads are amazing...but, they DO HAVE A LOW FLASHPOINT!

However, that passion is good in the bedroom!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have historically dated primarily red-heads and ended up marrying one.  My first love, my wife, even my current boss-lady.  

Serious business - why are you red-headed, truly red-headed, gals so crazy (in comparison to womenz of other hair type)!?  Is there some kind of scientific evidence?  Seriously.  (crazy in good ways as well as bad, of course)

My first true love was a red-head. Two of my former fiances were red-heads. Wife has auburn hair.

Yummy. I'm hoping that if my wife ever finds me a mistress that she is a red-head as well...

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think redheads are amazing...but, they DO HAVE A LOW FLASHPOINT!

Redhead... flashers. Next Girls Gone Wild episode?

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No, I have doo doo brown hair.    No songs were ever written about the girl with doo doo brown hair.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Nicole Kidman......mmm, yummy!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Where the hell is SigZiggy?  I know she's not avoiding this thread deliberately.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where the hell SigZiggy?  I know she's not avoiding this thread deliberately.  

No dahhhhhling, I was out having a few brews whilst watching MNF!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Shhh - there she is.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife has red hair...today.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Shhh - there she is.

Yah, and don't you even THINK about pissin' me off either you goober

Oh, I mean, whatever do you mean...shhhhh - there she is
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I have doo doo brown hair.    No songs were ever written about the girl with doo doo brown hair.

It looked red in the only pic I have seen of you....

Maybe you are crazy!

I mean YOU ARE NOT CRAZY.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#20]
very happily divorced from a redhead.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#21]
+1, my wife's a redhead too-I know what you mean.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Auburn with serious freckles here and a red-headed son... Our family tends to be resistant to pain and pain medicines.  The anesthesia thing may be true, but there are other things (like increased cortisol levels) that can reduce the sensation of pain.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#23]
IBTBOTD

Red on the head....fire in bed
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you are crazy!

doo doo brown hair = the colors you see depends on the light I am in.  Oh and the season - it tends to lighten up in the summer.  Sometimes it looks reddish brown, sometimes it looks blondish brown, sometimes it looks brownish brown.  Who needs hair color when you've got doo doo brown hair.    Doh.

See:

Bad scan, but the pic looks pretty brownish:

Bad scan, but the pic looks pretty blondish/brown:

Decent digital, looks kinda redish brown:
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you are crazy!

doo doo brown hair = the colors you see depends on the light I am in.  Oh and the season - it tends to lighten up in the summer.  Sometimes it looks reddish brown, sometimes it looks blondish brown, sometimes it looks brownish brown.  Who needs hair color when you've got doo doo brown hair.    Doh.

See:

Bad scan, but the pic looks pretty brownish:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Persephonepics/campin.jpg

Bad scan, but the pic looks pretty blondish/brown:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Persephonepics/renfes.jpg

Decent digital, looks kinda redish brown:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Persephonepics/TAnTD.gif

Is that Mr. Persephone checking you out in the middle pic?

The third pic is the one I was talking about.  And you are not CRAZY.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I noticed that too
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Dear Wedge, please be careful.  If you don't quit calling Hades "Mr. Persephone" you might end up cleaning up after Cerberus for all eternity.  Get it straight: He's Hades, I'm Persephone, and we have two little hellions.  

Ps, yeah, that's him.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dear Wedge, please be careful.  If you don't quit calling Hades "Mr. Persephone" you might end up cleaning up after Cerberus for all eternity.  Get it straight: He's Hades, I'm Persephone, and we have two little hellions.  

Ps, yeah, that's him.  

Well, there is no rest for the wicked.

eta - He will always be Mr. Persephone to me.

eta - You got to love that you have a pic of him in the act.  Mrs. Wedge and I were watching our wedding video the other day and I was caught in the act of looking down her dress during the ceremony.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Just my 2 cents but I've had nothing but bad luck with redheaded womenz.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a red head wife. Wow, life has not been the same! So much better than the blonde before her.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Kore sure sounds like a redhead even if the pics make it look a little brown.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

eta - You got to love that you have a pic of him in the act.  Mrs. Wedge and I were watching our wedding video the other day and I was caught in the act of looking down her dress during the ceremony.

blouse candy?  

Quoted:
Kore sure sounds like a redhead even if the pics make it look a little brown.

In a good way, or bad?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#34]
GILLIAN ANDERSON !
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Redheads are hot. Nicole Kidman.....yummy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#36]
<This is the Women Shooters forum--not GD.  Please keep it "nice">
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#39]
<<Is a redhead..married a redhead and the ressesive gene gives my 6mnth old daughter redhair aswell...lets just say we are all a little crazy in our own little ways
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Come on, y'all - this is the women's forum.  ...unless my dirty mind is misinterpreting what y'all mean.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Come on, y'all - this is the women's forum.  ...unless my dirty mind is misinterpreting what y'all mean.  

True!    If you're thinking about the post that I'm thinking about...I don't want to know what that means.    

IBTL
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

blouse candy?  

Never heard that one before.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True!    If you're thinking about the post that I'm thinking about...I don't want to know what that means.    

IBTL

There are 2 posts that I see that are rather inappropriate.  I wish the guys that use active topics would make a note of what forum they are in before posting.

IBTL

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are 2 posts that I see that are rather inappropriate.  I wish the guys that use active topics would make a note of what forum they are in before posting.

IBTL

No need to lock when edits will do.  Guys, this is the Women Shooters forum--not GD.  Different rules apply--much more strict here.  If you wish to post here, please do so in a manner which would be appropriate in front of your mother or grandmother.  Thank you.  

Thanks beekeeper!    I like your rule of thumb there.  I wonder how those guys would feel if someone said those things to their grandmother??
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I wish the guys that use active topics would make a note of what forum they are in before posting.

I plead guilty.  Sorry ladies, I will try to do a better job of being gentlemanly and looking at the forum before replying in the future.  I did not mean to offend anyone.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Me too.... when/where do we meet?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.... when/where do we meet?

Right here.  I wish I could talk with some of you guys in a respectful, serious manner about the frigity vs. "randiness" of females of such persuasion.  I have questions based on prior experiences
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#49]
OK, I'll start the redhead wife confession.

Here is our current issue.

We are getting a new puppy on Sunday. Our backyard was all rock and we added about 800 square feet of sod grass for the dog to play on.

I want to buy a lawnmower and weedeater to care for it. The wife says no way we are going to hire someone to care for it. We have called several people and no one is interested in mowing our little patch of grass every week. So I tell the wife I'm going to buy a mower. She explodes. Where are you going to keep all that stuff? I'll get a little shed for the yard. No way she says and it's not going on my side of the garage. Hmmm. They are just so so................
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#50]

I'm never right unless I'm admitting that I'm wrong...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top