Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 5:36:17 PM EDT
I took my little man to the hospital today for a check up with his surgeon (he's all good BTW) and when I got on the elevator there was a hispanic lady there. I walked in with my twins and here is the conversation we had...

"Are they twins?" (in Spanish)
Yes
"Oh are they your charges?"
No, they are my kids.
"Your husband is Oriental?"
He is Chinese.
"How old are the twins"
A year and a half
"what is that like living with him?"
Excuse me? (I switched to English at this point. I thought maybe my Spanish was failing me...)
"What is it like, is it hard work?"
Oh having twins, yes but only at first
"No. Living with an Oriental. do you like it?"

edited because I am spelling challenged
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe she had a bad experience.

How did the rest of the conversation go?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL

the rest of the conversation was me saying "um..." and then getting off the elevator....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There are alot of things assumed about Asian people. The women are submissive at all times , the men are too dominating, and ect. In fact just about every ethnic group is categorized in some ridiculous way. Perhaps she believes some of these things. It is always strange when people come out and say things like that. I think you handled it very well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
That was extremely weird!  I don't think I could have gotten off the elevator without 'replying' though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Next time just say....

"No habla espanol" and smile and nod your head while continuing to smile

If she starts speaking in english just say....

"I don't speak english either" and start humming to the elevator music while rocking your head back and forth, kind of in a bobbing motion.

The mere thought of this is cracking me up. I can't stand it when people that I don't know, strike up idiotic conversations with me. It just happened at dinner tonight and I just stood there while she yapped and bobbed my head back and forth and smiled...LOL....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
hmm

interesting

pepole are too damn nosy for their own good  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Next time just say....

"I don't speak english either" and start humming to the elevator music while rocking your head back and forth, kind of in a bobbing motion.

The mere thought of this is cracking me up. I can't stand it when people that I don't know, strike up idiotic conversations with me. It just happened at dinner tonight and I just stood there while she yapped and bobbed my head back and forth and smiled...LOL....

you made me spit out my soda! I am used to being stopped - the novelty of twins. Though I noticed that I don't get stopped as much now as I did when they were infants.

I shall try the bobbing and humming. Should I muster up some drool for good measure?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Odd, very odd... I would do as sigziggy suggests, and yes drool would be a rather nice touch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:01:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Or do what Phil-in-Seattle does:

"I'm a mute"!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Next time just say....

you made me spit out my soda! I am used to being stopped - the novelty of twins. Though I noticed that I don't get stopped as much now as I did when they were infants.

I shall try the bobbing and humming. Should I muster up some drool for good measure?

Drool!!! Oh yah, that would add a great touch

With drool you could even cut down what you say to simply......

"Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaabeeeeeeeeeeeees..." With the shaking bobbing head smiley face...
"My baaaaaaaaaaaaaabeeeeeeeeeeees..." Throw in some drool.....

It's Classic! And the kids will be wondering what you are doing so they'll have these perplexed looks on their faces because of the way you are talking...too funny!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Should have gone on and busted a few of this lady's steriotypes:

"Oh, no honey!  Chinese men are the BEST!  You know the real ancient Chinese secret?" Hold fingers apart about 10" and make a face like this:  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Should have gone on and busted a few of this lady's steriotypes:

"Oh, no honey!  Chinese men are the BEST!  You know the real ancient Chinese secret?" Hold fingers apart about 10" and make a face like this:  

I did not know there were so many Catholics in China.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I would have been tempted to turn it around on her and aske about her husband: "Is he <gasp>latino???"
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Just start smacking your arms and torso and screaming: "Spiders!  Spiders!  Get these spiders off me!"  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just start smacking your arms and torso and screaming: "Spiders!  Spiders!  Get these spiders off me!"  

Oh - no - that is too damn funny... I am gonna piss myself!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#17]
wth did she mean "your charges"??
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

chances are she herself was a nanny, and assumed that DpC was too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Next time just say....

WEll, that certainly explains a few things to me.  I always thought you could speak english SZ.
Now I find out it's just me.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Next time just say....

WEll, that certainly explains a few things to me.  I always thought you could speak english SZ.
Now I find out it's just me.

TXL

<-------------------

[with head bobbing back and forth, big smile on my face]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

chances are she herself was a nanny, and assumed that DpC was too.

yup - she thought I was the nanny. I get that a lot though, my kids look like my husband with a slight tan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top