Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2004 10:43:48 PM EDT
definition...you can be as general or specific as you like.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
My definition of a gentleman is some one who still opens doors,treats me like I am special,someone who will carry a conversation,someone who likes to have fun too. That's as much as I can answer until I have had the rest of my coffee.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
A gentleman would listen to my ideas,  not push them off as stupid just because I am a woman.
he would hold the door, ask if I need help with whatever, treat me with respect.
I guess the most important is the respect. Even though I am a woman, I still deserve respect from a man.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
definition...you can be as general or specific as you like.

The definition of a true gentleman is one who does not judge by your looks, he does not 2nd guess you by your posture. He does not get wishy washy when speaking. He speaks in clear, constant thought and keeps his voice to a low tone. A gentleman should treat a female as a lady always.  Like a fair maiden; treasured and protected from harm. Chivalry starts from an emotional and physical stand point, not material logistics.  

To me, that is the definition of a gentleman.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for what all the others said.

Also, a gentleman is one who cusses in front of a woman and then apologizes for having done so.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
A gentleman is one who is honorable and true to his words. He takes the time to think about things before he says or does them, to make sure that he takes your views and feelings at least into consideration. He permits you to be your own person and is enjoyable to be with for that same reason. He is comfortable in his skin, and doesn't think that being polite to a woman (or anyone in general) will make him "lose his balls".

Last, but not least....a true gentleman will load your mags and clips for you when your fingers are too sore to continue doing so yourself.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#6]
A gentleman appears after the lady appears.

Because a man is often what he needs to be at that moment.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

A true gentlemen can behave like one regardless of the situation.  It is never acceptable to be disrespectful.  It is understandable at times, but not acceptable.  Catch the difference?  

Not to miss your point, and I agree that there are few ladies around today just as there are few gentlemen.  It's a sad, sad world.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

A true gentlemen can behave like one regardless of the situation.   It is never acceptable to be disrespectful.  It is understandable at times, but not acceptable.  Catch the difference?  

I could not agree more. While tempting, it is never appropriate to lower oneself to other's standards.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#9]
My point was that one of the benefits of being a man is that we are able/allowed to be many differant things.  Yes, always be a gentleman at all times.  But sometimes that gentleman is called on to do not so gentleman things.

Differant situations dicate the level of gentleness that is required.

So don't try to fit an ideal mold, just stand up for what you believe in and the mold will be made.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow....not one mention of  putting the seat down when we are done.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

As long as you don't piss on the seat its not a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you don't piss on the seat its not a big deal.

+1

A gentleman is true to his word.  He is honorable and chivalrous.  A gentleman gives a lady his coat when she starts to shiver, without being asked.  A gentleman watches his language in front of women and children.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, thanks for the replies. Some of you get REALLY specific (tone of voice, open doors, offering coat unasked). I appreciate that, as I will try to watch myself in front of women. I am already pretty respectful toward women.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Clean_Cut, just always try to keep in mind what HER needs are.

If you're trying to be a gentleman, remember....at any moment, you have to be looking out for her needs, not yours. Hold the door. Carry the umbrella. Offer her your hand to cross the puddle.

Be John Wayne when you need to.

Never raise your voice.

And most importantly, when she drops the ball and slips in her attempt to be a lady, be gracious.

Gracious....yeah, that's it. Keep that word in your mind at all times.

And if she doesn't appreciate it...no, if she doesn't SHOW that she appreciates it...don't waste your efforts on her.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, next question, which male members on AR15 do you consider to be gentlemen?
(I think that would be easier to answer than to ask which male members on AR15 do you consider to NOT be gentlemen. )
Just kidding.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you're trying to be a gentleman, remember....at any moment, you have to be looking out for her needs, not yours. Hold the door. Carry the umbrella. Offer her your hand to cross the puddle.

Never raise your voice.

And most importantly, when she drops the ball and slips in her attempt to be a lady, be gracious.

And if she doesn't appreciate it...no, if she doesn't SHOW that she appreciates it...don't waste your efforts on her.

Right! She needs to let you know she appreciates your efforts to be a gentleman. It works both ways.  

Maybe she will let you know by simply telling you she appreciates your kind manners, but being a gentleman can also sometimes pay off in big ways by your lady showing you her appreciation in not so lady like ways
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Never raise your voice.

No offense intended but you hang out here a lot. Why is that? (Just curious)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#18]
My realization of gentlemenship came to me when my daughter was married.

When I was a bestman or a groomsmen at my friends weddings, my first concern was for the brides interest in the days events, her happiness and protecting her

My son inlaws' bestman and groomsmen were more interested in how many shots they could pour
down his throat than protecting and securing the interests of the bride on her wedding day.

Most young people today don't know the meaning of honor.

GM
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#19]
To me a gentleman is just that a gentle man. He is not a wimp, or anything, but he is kind and polite. He is mature enough to keep his cool in a variety of situations, and can get his point across without being insulting or loud and obnoxious.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never raise your voice.

No offense intended but you hang out here a lot. Why is that? (Just curious)

None taken.

I 'hang out' here a good bit, I admit. Heck, I hang out all over the site....one of the perks of my job.

Why here?

Well, the ladies here are quite nice. I have gotten some good advice from a few of them, had some nice conversations with a few of them, had a few of them let me get a rant off my chest, and just generally enjoyed their company.

In addititon, it seems that matters of the heart, relationships, etc, etc, can be discussed here without the irreverant interruptions that come with such threads in GD.

Finally, it smells better in here. No locker-room odor like GD.

Is that potpourri I smell, or has someone been baking cookies again?

<----more in touch w/ his sensitive side than the average GD'er.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No dear, it's that tripple layer double-chocolate cake I just baked.  Would you like a slice?  It's lovely with Chai tea.  The spice of the Chai compliments the richness of the chocolate.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No dear, it's that tripple layer double-chocolate cake I just baked.  Would you like a slice?  It's lovely with Chai tea.  The spice of the Chai compliments the richness of the chocolate.  

Temptress!

I know what you're up to, and it won't work.

P.S.,
204 this morning. That's 3 less than last week.

P.P.S, to clean_cut,

Only in the women's forum will you be offered fresh-baked triple-layer double-chocolate cake. Nevermind the fact that she's only trying to fatten me up.........
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Never raise your voice.

[cameron] Ferris Bueller, youre my hero [/cameron]  

clean_cut, this guy is the most consistent gentleman on the board and he has given the best answer

now if we can just get him to post his picture, we will be all set  

no, arowneragain, i will not let it go  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smells like brownies...

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]
To sum it up in one word 'RESPECT'
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#27]
How prevalent do you think men treat women according to how they look - the better looking the woman the more respect she gets.

I personally would be pissed as hell at that behavior.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have a feeling you don't have to worry one bit.....

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How prevalent do you think men treat women according to how they look - the better looking the woman the more respect she gets.

I wouldn't say a better looking woman gets more respect. Perhaps she gets pampered more, and treated more "carefully," but respect  is a character that runs deeper than the surface. How could one truly respect another more just because they are better looking than the next, and why would someone want to be with a person who based how they were treated on their looks?

If that were the case, we would be living in a superficial world where life was focussed on the looks of a person rather than their personality...

Places like Hooters and strip-jays would be in practically every neighborhood...
Supermodels would be the basis for what people need to strive to look like...
People would be ridiculed for not fitting into certain socio-economic categories...
We would have to worry about grown men wanting to screw our teenage daughters instead of teaching them about qualities and morals and nurturing their natural abilities to help build a solid career path or a skill to use in life...

What kind of crappy world would that be to live in?

Oh wait, nevermind...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:25:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Starting the day with a chuckle as usual from a Sgtar one-liner
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

if i spent my time being pissed at other people's shallow behavior, id be upset all the time--i choose to be better than that
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if i spent my time being pissed at other people's shallow behavior, id be upset all the time--i choose to be better than that

Excellent advice, though sometimes easier said than done.

<----a bit shallow at times, too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

I don't.

But obviously, you do get pissed about how men see you. You're gay! Yeah, you SG(it'snotgayifyou'repitching)AR15.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for all your comments, ladies. Gives me insight on what some of you have to put up with.

I see a lot of men judge women on their looks, and it's just unfair. Fortunately, not all men are like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top