Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 7:57:27 AM EDT
My wife is going through menopause. How long does this usually last? She is about to drive me friggin nuts. She is either burning me up or freezing me to death.  She can't remember anything either.  She is bleeding for weeks at a time too. Yes. She has been seeing her doctor. She is trying to avoid hormones if possible. I need answers. HELP!

P.S. Is the pie as good after as it was before?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I hate to give you the bad news, but menopause can last years, depending on the woman.  It would be best if you could find out how it went for her mom, that would give you a more accurate idea of what to expect.  She really needs to take care of herself right now.  Make sure she is eating well and resting, and the symptoms will get better.  

After it's over, you won't have to worry about the monthly cycle anymore, and her moods will level off.  The only down side may be a little dryness, but that is easily remedied.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Both have given good advice. I strongly urge Estroven also. From women I know who have or are going thru it, it is almost a miracle cure.
I wish you luck, haven't been there msyelf, but damn am not looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it can last a loooooooong time.  My mom keeps thinking she's done with it and then she'll get her period three months later.  Poor woman.

I don't really feel sorry for my dad though, seeing as how he could sleep through World War Three.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Tread lightly
Get some body armor and trauma plates, lock up your guns!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't hit that stage yet in my life...but mother-in-law was going through it when hubby and I came stateside to get married. Lets just say she could clear the room in no time. Was not pretty. Actually felt sorry for my father-in-law.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Been there, done that...twice. Aren't I just freaking lucky? (drug induced to help a disease). I sympathize with you and your wife. It was one of the most hideous things I have been through. The first time I tried it with the hormones, the second time without. There are plenty of hormonal things and herbal things out there. If she doesn't want to try the hormones then def. try the Estroven.
To be honest, both with and without the hormones it sucked.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The Estroven is good, and also a product called Black Cohash Menopause Formula.  Try these before the hormones.  Natural is much better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Estroven is good, and also a product called Black Cohash Menopause Formula.  Try these before the hormones.  Natural is much better.

Godammit, I hate hearing crap like "natural is better" ! WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THIS ??? Hormones are hormones, whether they come from plants or a pharmaceutical company is irrelevant. The only advantage the "natural" versions have is that they are not legally restricted like "real" medicines... the downside is that they are not regulated for safety or efficacy by the FDA, so who the f**k knows what you are putting into your body. If you take this crap, you are a dumbass.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Godammit, I hate hearing crap like "natural is better" ! WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THIS ??? Hormones are hormones, whether they come from plants or a pharmaceutical company is irrelevant. The only advantage the "natural" versions have is that they are not legally restricted like "real" medicines... the downside is that they are not regulated for safety or efficacy by the FDA, so who the f**k knows what you are putting into your body. If you take this crap, you are a dumbass.

Just my 2 cents worth.

So tell us how you really feel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my 2 cents worth.

So tell us how you really feel.

He's right, but I've seen better deliveries....someone needs to read more Dale Carnegie books.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Yuh, acutally you're wrong. The plant sterols are not as potent as the man made hormones. Also there are sigificant risks associated with hormone replacement therapy (hrt).  It has been shown with several studies that there is a much greater risk of breast cancer in women who are using hrt. Also there is greater risk of a thrombrolytic event (blood clot), which could lead to strokes and the like in women who have high blood pressure. Estrogen doesn't seem to protect women from such heart problems as was once thought. The natural hrt's help to a lesser degree, but remember menopause is a natural process, one that evolved in the human race most likely to prevent late life pregancies. Late life pregnacies are dangerous to both woman and child, and menopause is Nature's way of proventing harm...

Oh BTW I'm a phamacist just so you know...

-sc
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Estroven is good, and also a product called Black Cohash Menopause Formula.  Try these before the hormones.  Natural is much better.hr

Just my 2 cents worth. hr

It's my body, so I can choose what to put into it.  And as far as being a dumbass, well, name calling is an expected response of the ignorant or intolerant.  And re the FDA, weren't they the ones who approved thallidomide?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my 2 cents worth.

First of all, that is my wife you just trashed and you can take your two cents and shove em up your ass!

Eionor asked for a WOMANS perspective not a damn loud mouth cry baby wanna be female!  You need to read the rules about coming into the womens forum and stirring up shit.   You wanted shit, well, you got it.   You want to jump on someone, jump on me.   Why don't you take your balls out of your wifes purse and try it again.

I can't stand cowards and you are a coward.

This is my first negative thread on ARFcom but that is just the way it goes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Personal attacks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top