Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2004 7:01:38 PM EDT
I started a thread in the GD asking what would be good for a first date, but then CloningBagels pointed out an important fact when she said:

Quoted:
You're in the wrong forum, my friend. Most of the guys here have never been on a date.

There's a lot of truth in those words...

I've gotten to know this girl by seeing her every other week for about 4 months, and last weekend we got to talking together, flirting, and I made some JOKING CRACK about how my past girlfriends (all blondes) were cruel and manipulative gold diggers, and that people with blonde hair & blue eyes have no soul...  (I have blonde hair & blue eyes...)

She then said that not all blondes are like that!!!  Then she said, "Maybe someday I'll get to prove you wrong..."

She's a great girl, she's into archery, camping, fishing, isn't afraid of guns or biased against them (and wants to learn to shoot them someday), and she's VERY pretty.  She has met my family already (and likes them) some time ago, and my parents seemed to like her too.  We were just friends until today...  TJMZ heard some of the troubles of my past GFs that I've had...  I'm a really nice guy, and I don't really know why so many women walked all over me.  I'm not exactly a hideous guy, but I need to tone some muscles up sometime soon to be more presentable:

(This was a picture of me on the beach @ NW Illinois University after I had a Fencing Tournament [I'm on the U of MN Fencing Team] against NWIL, NotreDame, Purdue, U of MI, etc...)

Another good thing is that she knows about my job digging graves, and has no problem with that!!!  She realizes it's just to get $$ to pay bills & college, and she's okay with the fact that I have such a creepy job!

Please post some decent suggestions for first dates in this original thread...  That way other guys might get to learn what women want on a 1st date!  THANKS!
Ideas For A Fun First Date

PS.  I'm not going to buy a bunch of silk & make something for this one unless she shows more promise than the last one...  But someday she might get something nice like that.  I just don't have the $$ for such a gift yet.    (To understand you've got to be one of the nice ladies here that's "in the know...")
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The pics are just showing up as red Xs for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit... Sorry...  Hosting problems.
Here's a link to my yahoo personal photos
Yahoo Personals Page Photos
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, you say she's interesting in learning how to shoot - why not take her to the range?  Then out for a casual dinner afterwards.  I think a first date at a memorable location (bowling, concert in the park, gun range) is a good way to stand out in her mind as someone who will offer her something new.  Besides, think of the opportunities... stance correction, fixing her hands on the grip... it's almost as good as golfing!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey, you say she's interesting in learning how to shoot - why not take her to the range?  Then out for a casual dinner afterwards.  I think a first date at a memorable location (bowling, concert in the park, gun range) is a good way to stand out in her mind as someone who will offer her something new.  Besides, think of the opportunities... stance correction, fixing her hands on the grip... it's almost as good as golfing!  

I love the way this woman thinks!!!

PS.  The date was an INCREDIBLE success.  We hit things off great, and both had a great time learning even more about each other!  Thanks for any & all advice contributed!  This wednesday we'll try the shooting & stance correction...  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#5]
glad it went well for you both. just a remindert that all women aren't the same.

Mona
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations!  

Hope it all works out for ya!  Nice to see that you have finally found a woman who wants to learn to shoot, that's pretty important.  I have had the opposite problem, finding men who don't find women who shoot scary.  Luckily, I have found a very promising beau who not only doesn't mind, but has finally gotten into the sport himself!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Great News TJMZ!!!  Glad to hear your guy is getting into it as well!

I can't wait for tomorrow night when I'll have a chance to see her again.  We're going to just be studying together at her place, but it's still going to be fun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
update?? info??

the linkie doesnt work for me, so still no pix.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry none of the pics are showing up & for not updating all of you with what happened...

I had by FAR the best date in my entire life that night.  I learned so much about her that night and it shocked me how much we had in common...  She's a VERY HIGH POTENTIAL KEEPER.

We've only been dating for about 1.5 weeks, but we can see there's a TON of potential.

For our date we went out to dinner @ romano's macaroni grill in Edina for some Calamari, and two chicken w/ shrimp pasta dishes.  I forgot what they were, but they were fantastic.  Italian loaf of bread to dip into extra virgin olive oil w/ fresh ground pepper & parmesan cheese, etc...  THEN SHE PAID FOR 1/2 THE MEAL!  She insisted & I couldn't get her to budge.  That's a first for me.  Well, we sat & talked over our great meal for 2.5 hours & really got to know each other.

After dinner we went to the Southdale mall to window shop...  We tested my "Social Theory" about jewelery stores, and it was proven true.  I go into a shop & look around, and get NO HELP, not a sigh, nothing.  I leave, and come back with her, and everybody is all over us like, "Can we help you? Are you looking for anything in particular? Is there something we can help you find? Just let us know!"  We did this in 3 other jewelers with the same results: Helzberg Diamonds, Goodman Jewelers (IIRC), and some other...

Then I took her to my favorite shop in that mall: Godiva Chocolates.  I let her pick out like $10-$20 worth (I forgot how much), and she loved it!  She grabbed me for a great big close hug around my midriff, and I got "Made" instantly.  She felt my CCW Gun (wore only because we were going to a shitty part of the downtown warehouse district later that night).  She cocked her head like a confused dog and then she smiled, winked & whispered, "Is that a gun on your hip or are you happy to see me?"  I said, "Both." and she was TOTALLY COOL WITH IT!  Later she told me she was wierded out at first, but then figured I had a good reason for having with tonight.

Afterward we walked around the mall & she said, "Hang on," disappeared, and 2 minutes later came back with a gift for me...  NEW SKATEBOARD BEARINGS!!!  What a GIRL!  She remembered that I mentioned that I boarded 2 years ago, but my board was useless until I got new bearings.  She saw a Cooper Mini in the mall & we sat in it to get a 'feel' for the car too.

Then after dark we got in the car & headed to the shitty hood in downtown's warehouse district.  We stopped in at the Acme Comedy Club, and saw 3 great comedians that night, and IT WAS GREAT!  2 of them were standups from comedycentral, and we just laughed our heads off until we lost our voices.  It was great.  However, everyone else around us was obnoxiously DRUNK, stumbling, grabbin' asses, etc...  Then we got outside afterward & someone started throwing beer bottles in the street, so we hurried to our car & I let her in...  (I opened all the doors that night, and still try to do so)

We waited for a lot of the drunks who got in their cars to get out of the parking lot before we backed out.  We then left, stopped by the rental place & picked up a horror movie to watch, and went back to my place for some kissing, cuddling, talking, and a movie...

I drove her home at about 4 AM, and then went 2 sleep.  It was a great date.

At dinner I asked all the right questions (for me) to get the "important" stuff (deal breakers) out of the way, and she scored perfect on all those questions.  She's middle of the road, leans republican.  She's got TONS of similar interests as I do.  She is a christian (episcopalian, but I have no idea what that entails), and she has a very laid back positive attitude.  An INCREDIBLE sense of humor that fits my dry humor very well!  She laughs at most of my jokes, which is strange because usually NOBODY can understand them.  (I have a dry vague sense of humor that requires a good brain to understand most of the time; it's very strange, but once in a while I can kick out something great...  The rest are over everyone's heads)  Then there was the added bonus: She's 19, a virgin saving herself for her wedding day, and she's never had a drop of alcohol in her life.  SHE'S ALSO INCREDIBLY SMART (she had to be if she understood my nerd jokes)!  She's about 1.5 years away from graduating & applying to Vet school.

If I can carry on an intellectually stimulating conversation with this girl for over 2+ hours I'm ready to die.  That's never happened before, and we never have ANY arguments.  She's very indecisive like me as well.

Similar interests:
CAMPING
HIKING
BACKPACKING
FENCING (She has more REAL swords than I DO!)
FISHING (And she's good at it)
BIKING
SWIMMING
BOATING
WATER SKIING (ETC.)
and SO MUCH MORE it's FRIGHTENING!

Her parents own a cabin & a chunk of land up in the wilderness near International Falls MN a spit-shot distance from Canuckville CANADA so we're going up there a couple times this summer hopefully.

She's moving back to her parents' house on Tuesday though...    So I have to enjoy her presence as much as possible before she goes tomorrow morning...  I'm going to miss her a lot, because we've grown so close in such a short time it is great.  Since we have such almost identical personalities, we feel like we've known each other our whole lives.

She's pretty too!  YOUCH!  She looks good in a sun dress...  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#10]
well

that tells us what we wanted to know, id say

glad you are happy--be good and be careful--ask us for as much advice as you can stand  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, that's fantastic!  I hope things work out for you.  Keep us posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top