Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2019 5:13:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My GF gets waxed but seems to have a lot of ingrown hairs as a result. From my POV a short trim is just as nice.

She prefers to simply pay somebody to do it so opts for the complete wax option(front and back if you wanted opinions on that too).
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 5:30:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
My ex was a cosmetologist and when I was between jobs she suggested I get my license to cut hair so I did get a cosmetology license and for a while owned a hair salon. When I was in school one of the girls made a bet with me and she lost so she was the practice model for the instructor to teach a class on waxing. Now typically you will have a licensed female cosmetologist doing a wax on an adult female. Many women have  eyebrows waxed.  Some want a bikini wax done. The advantage is shaved hair grows out rough like your day old beard and that is uncomfortable, where new growth hair after a wax will grow in soft and not irritate.  To correctly do a wax the area to be waxed is cleaned with one solution if hair is to long sometimes it may be trimmed to a manageable length before waxing but there has to be enough for the wax to catch it. Baby powder is applied before the wax is applied and if you fail to do this you will have a horrible time even with wax remover liquid trying to get wax off that does not stick to the cloth strip that is laid over the hot wax.  There are multiple kinds of wax for different specific reasons some do not require the cloth strips over the wax. The person being waxed is usually covered with a clean white sheet or towel so that only what needs waxed is visable.  Bottom line its not pleasant to have hair pulled out there is nothing sexual about the experience.

and GO
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BeautifulStranger:
Ok so here’s my experience and why I’m asking.

Let me preface with I’ve done the at home waxing with hard wax before. It did not go well but did give me an idea of what it’s like.

So I booked a full Brazilian wax with a local spa who had good reviews and ratings. Before booking I did a pretty thorough research so I would be prepared. I spent the weeks before exfoliating to minimize ingrown hair later. I bought a cooling antiseptic cream for afterwards. I measured my hair and it was a little long in parts but the Internet told me they would trim if it was. So I go and right away I’m not impressed with the place but everyone loves it so I’m going to see it through. The cosmetologist is nice and talks me through every thing she’s doing. She said my hair looked fine and they do not trim so next time make sure it’s all half an inch. She didn’t offer or apply anything beforehand to numb or help the process. She went straight in with the wax and strips. She did most of the area above my pubic bone and crease with no real problems. She then had me do the frog position and started in more sensitive areas   She suddenly informed me that the hair  towards the middle was a bit thicker and longer so she might have to do it more than once. And added that “We don’t do the middle bit because it’s too sensitive of an area and it could rip.” I was hesitant but what the hell am I going to do? Get up and walk out halfway through? So I said ok. She proceeded to go over and over some areas while getting wax all over my hands, shirt and her gloves. She was struggling with how sticky the wax was. She then did the back which was probably the easiest part. Afterwards she rubbed what I think was a pea sized amount of massage oil around to “clean me up” and said she had some cream to help but I don’t think she applied any. I got dressed, paid plus a very generous tip and left.

Upon getting home I realize I’ve still got wax on me. No big deal she told me to use coconut oil to get any excess off. After letting the pain and irritation die down I examined a little closer finding so many patches of hair missed. Obviously she didn’t get the “middle bits” but she also didn’t get anything between vagina and ass hole. A large portion around that area and up the crease of my legs was still there. A few really long hairs around my bikini line out. And even the places she did wax were nowhere near smooth. Now I get that the first few times are rough and it’s a mess down there but here’s what I can’t get passed.
I paid $75 plus a $30 tip for a full Brazilian that left a quarter of my hair still attached. I wasn’t offered anything for pain before or after. I was told they don’t trim. I was told halfway through they don’t do the middle. I wasn’t tweezed or cleaned up in any way other than rubbing oil on me. She didn’t tell me when to come back.

All said and done, I ended up spending an hour and a half tweezing myself trying to clean it up just to end up shaving everything to be completely clean. I also ended up with some scabbing and whelps. I privately emailed the business to explain what happened and find out if everything she did was a personal practice or spa policy. They eventually emailed me back to get my contact information and the owner is calling me when she returns from vacation.

My big talking points for my message to her was that I paid for a full Brazilian and didn’t receive it. That I wasn’t offered before or after care. That they don’t use the typical hard wax for sensitive area just the soft wax and strips. I don’t really care about money back or free services I just want them to know their practices are outdated and dishonest.
View Quote
Vote with your wallet, try finding another shop via word of mouth and give them a chance. I’ve had experiences like yours at barbers and never returned.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I get waxed every 5 weeks and have for years. This is not a normal experience. They wax EVERYTHING on me, and it takes about 25 minutes. They don’t  do anything for numbing (it doesn’t work) and use a hard wax. It sounds like they used a soft wax on you which is more painful. You should have left hairless and completely smooth, BUT be prepared to have some hair in 5-10 days after the first wax. Due to the timing of hair growth, it’s typically 2-3 appointments before everything is synced up. You should contact management and find a new Salon that uses hard wax
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Waxing turned out to be a disaster for me.  Turns out, I was allergic to the wax.  So, from my jaded perspective, shaving is the way to go.  If you shave every day (and I mean EVERY day), it's easy to maintain and smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
my wife gets a full Brazilian about every six weeks or so. Her first appointment went fairly smooth and after that she said it's no big deal. She's been doing this for about 4 years now. They get everything down there and there is minimal tweezing and irritation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#10]
my wife gets a full Brazilian about every six weeks or so. Her first appointment went fairly smooth and after that she said it's no big deal. She's been doing this for about 4 years now. They get everything down there and there is minimal tweezing and irritation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was married, I waxed my wife every 6-8 weeks.  It requires some patience and making sure the area is clean and prepped correctly.  I liked to use cornstarch on the area before applying the wax as the wax would stick more to the hair than the skin.

After the first or second time, the hair pulls out a lot easier if you are doing it on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never had a brazillian personally; I'm not a fan of general waxing so more is just not my thing; but that sounds like a horror story.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife goes to European Wax center. They use a different wax instead of the strips.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I waxed for years.  First hot wax done by a pro, then to sugaring at home on myself.  For the last 10 or so years though I’ve been hair free because of laser hair removal.

Laser hair is not for the faint of heart, at least not to go full.  It’s a lot of applications over time and is only what I’ll call “intense”.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top