Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2002 2:21:30 PM EDT
Maybe I am the only person with this problem, but when I carry I feel like stuff is sticking out like a sore thumb...I have a p32 and I have a pocket holster as well as sometimes leaving it my purse.  I rarely do that, but when I am wearing a dress or pants that don't have pockets, I have done it.  Do you all feel comfortable carrying?  Is this something that will go away?  I always feel like I have a big red sign flashing over my head "This person is carrying a concealed weapon!"  I feel absolutely fine with the gun, it's the concealment that I have issues with.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a .45, too!  I just carry the 32 because it is smaller and ,I feel, easier to conceal.  Crime is not rampant where we live, but I often have to walk to my car at alone at night when I am at work or school.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
the red sign feeling will go away.  but only if you always carry your gun.  make it a part of you like your drivers license.  being a girl is great because you can carry a purse everywhere!  a guy looks out of place with a attache case or some weird kind of bag.  

a gun is a tool that you kill people with.
do you ever really want to feel completely comfortable with it?  i walk a little taller and feel a little more sure of myself when i carry.  i am not cocky or looking for a fight i just have a feeling that i can handle any situation that comes along.  

go to the mall and sit on a bench and watch the people go by.  look at them and play a little game with yourself trying to guess which ones are "packing".  of if they obviously are not how they can change their wardrobe to hide a gun.

most people are sheep.  they hardly notice anything and will not notice that little bulge in your pocket or if they do will think it's something harmless like a set of keys or a cell phone. above all relax. one thing people will pickup on is your fear or insecurity.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I know exactly how you feel.

As the others have said this will pass in time. You will soon realize that you are the only one that knows you are armed. Trust your holster and concealment clothing to do their job and don't pat check or adjust them constantly. You can be your own worst enemy.
The fun really begins when you do become too comfortable. I once forgot that my jacket was my concealment and took it off in a restaurant. I sat there wondering why the waitress  seemed genuinely concerned about me and my meal. No one told me my error and I only realized it when I was putting the jacket back on. I'll never enjoy such good service again [;)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#6]
What Hanz said. Practice carrying. This is not only so that you become used to it, as Hanz discussed, but also so that you can determine what works best for you. All of us who carry concealed on a regular basis have a large box of unused holsters. An unfortunate fact of life, as there is really no other way to do it.

As a woman you have a huge concealment advantage when you use a holster purse. If you use a purse you are tied to it though; can't just leave it laying about a friends house, especially with children about.

Make certain whatever holster system you use keeps the trigger guard covered. Draw and recovery have a high fumble factor and that's where 99% of ND's occur.

Keep practicing, and realize that nobody is noticing. Go to a good defensive pistol course (a la Gunsite, etc.).

If you are using pocket carry, remember to blade that side of your body away from huggers and kissers. If all else fails, and someone asks you what that "bump" is, our technological society now allows an easy out, "Oh, that's just my cellphone/pager/etc."

I've pulled the same trick as Hanz, but realized it and bunched my coat up next to me so nobody could see the weapon. Now that move is a standard part of my repertoire! One morning I was driving to work and had to stop to assist some elderly women with car trouble right at the end of my driveway. I got out of the car with no coat on, and without thinking either. The women didn't bat an eye, and neither did I. For all I know they didn't even notice (I wear behind the hip IWB), but then this is NH, after all [:)]

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info...I will keep on keepin' on!  I don't have a purse that is specifically made for carrying and right now I can't afford one the Galco ones (aren't they beautiful?!)  I prefer to carry on me as opposed to in my purse.  I think I will see about getting a different holster and see if that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top