Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2002 3:48:10 PM EDT
After watching the the daily news (murder,rape etc) she asked me what she needs to do to obtain a carry permit. I was so freakin' happy! I worry about her being defenseless. If someone hurt her I would probably go off the deep end.
So we start looking at carry guns. She shoots several and then tries the the Keltec P-32. She absolutly loved it, however, I was skeptical. She bought one last week. (thanks CIWS)
That little pistol refuses to jam! She shoots it one handed, limp wristed it on purpose, and shot it left handed. We put 100 rounds of ball thru it, as well as 50 rounds of silvertips without so much as a hiccup.
I gave her the speech about limpwristing it but it was in vain, that little rig is perfect for her. She can conceal it under her scrubs (medical uniform) without any problems.
Its got a pocket clip so she doesn't have to worry about a holster. The trigger pull is very manageable for a DAO.  
Did I mention that it holds a 4" group at 25 feet? Un freakin' believable for a barrel that short.
I'm very proud of her for taking responsibility for her own saftey and she tells me that she feels much safer when she is in questionable company.  I just wanted to share with the females of the group. The Keltec is a winner in my book, but I'm sticking with my G27.
After all, no self respecting man would ever carry a 32ACP! [;)]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
good for her!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am personal elated to know that there will be one more armed female out there that will know how to defend heself.

I have had my CHL for over 5 years now.

You go girl.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
slacker,

i'm thrilled she wants to carry and enjoys the gun... and i hate to be a damper, but you mentioned no self-respecting man would carry a .32, well, do you suppose this is a reasonable carry caliber at all?  i own a p32, and love mine as well.  i've had my wife carry it in the past, but now i insist she carries the p11, personally i suggest a woman should carry all the caliber she can handle, but there's something to be said for a woman carrying a caliber she handles "well".  but you have to admit, you wouldn't let her carry a .25, so there is a cutoff, i just don't want you to set the cutoff too low.

take care and let me know what you think
Armed
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Armed,
 Keep in mind that she is not a recreational shooter. The P-32 is what she picked out, it fits her hand, is easy for her to conceal, and she shoots it exceptionally accuratly. These things make it the right caliber, not the caliber itself.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
slacker, congrats to you and your fiance!

my wife is slowly but surely coming around..

do you have any info (price, etc) about the pistol you got your fiance?

Lostwildcat
View Quote

Hey Ryan,
 I paid $210 NIB for it from board member CIWS.
It comes with one mag and a nylon carry pouch.
The keltec board has tons of info on them. Her pistol loves Win. silvertips, shoots really nice groups with them. You're not going to believe how accurate that little pistol is.
Julie (my finace) liked the blue frame, she said it looked like a water pistol (and it does!) so it didn't intimidate her with its looks.
Next time she and I are in your neck of the woods we'll stop by and see the baby and I can visit the Franchi! -Ryan
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

she said it looked like a water pistol (and it does!) so it didn't intimidate her with its looks.

View Quote

another issue, what if her potential attacker (God forbid) also finds it unintimidating??

you're right, being proficient and comfortable w/ a weapon does make a big difference, but it's also a good time to step up to a bigger caliber, work with that confidence and use it beneficially to adopt a more appropiate caliber.

my wife loves shooting my p32, and would prefer to carry it, but she understands that it's not an appropriate caliber, and thus carries a 9mm.  she certainly doesn't find practicing w/ it recreational, but she understands that in a defensive situation the last thing you'll care about is some extra recoil.

slip the p32 in your pocket as a backup and step up to a hammerless snubnose or something similar for the lady.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
lostwildcat:

that's about what i paid for mine also, it's a pretty good little gun.  though i would never suggest the purchase of a kel-tec, despite owning 2 quality ones myself.  they still have bad batches where one thing or another will be wrong and require several trips back to the factory.  sure, their customer service is great, but who wants to spend a small fortune in shipping.  find out more at [url]www.ktog.org[/url]

[edited to add live link]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

she said it looked like a water pistol (and it does!) so it didn't intimidate her with its looks.

View Quote

another issue, what if her potential attacker (God forbid) also finds it unintimidating??

you're right, being proficient and comfortable w/ a weapon does make a big difference, but it's also a good time to step up to a bigger caliber, work with that confidence and use it beneficially to adopt a more appropiate caliber.

my wife loves shooting my p32, and would prefer to carry it, but she understands that it's not an appropriate caliber, and thus carries a 9mm.  she certainly doesn't find practicing w/ it recreational, but she understands that in a defensive situation the last thing you'll care about is some extra recoil.

slip the p32 in your pocket as a backup and step up to a hammerless snubnose or something similar for the lady.
View Quote

- 9mm = increased recoil
- Increased recoil = less shooting
- Less shooting = less effective weapon
- Less effective weapon = bad.
In other words, she shoots it well, isn't afraid to practice with it, it goes bang when she pulls the trigger and she can conceal it while wearing "girlie" type clothes. All these things add up to her having it when she needs it, hence satisfying the first rule of a gunfight.
A snubbie wheelgun will be in the glovebox when she needs it because its "too big" and "too heavy" to carry without a belt.
Armed, try to think like a girl! Picture Brintey Spears trying to conceal a J-frame. Sheesh...
FWIW, A 32 ACP Win silvertip to the chest isn't a walk in the park. We will be trying Corbon ammo for function soon. She knows to keep shooting until the threat is neutralized.
I'm headed to bed, G'night guys.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#12]
with certain clothing, ok, but what about in a purse, or having a more powerful gun in the car at least (and it doesn't have to be in the glovebox, it could be in a gunrug right at her side) while carrying the p32 outside the car.

my guess is, she could handle .38 special just fine w/ some practice.  are you saying .32 is the limit for efficiency?  give her more credit than that, women may typically be wimpy with guns, but any women should be able to handle .38 special at least.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#13]
also, this isn't always true:

Quoted:

- 9mm = increased recoil
- Increased recoil = less shooting
- Less shooting = less effective weapon
- Less effective weapon = bad.

View Quote

less shooting does not necessarily equal less effective weapon.  let's see, how about 5 rounds of 25 acp vs 1 round of 44 mag (and just for fun let's say the attacker is wearing heavy winter clothing).  your logic is faulty
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Armed,
 Lets just the the folks who read this thread deceide who's logic is faulty. My guess is that you have no clue what the hell your talking about. Others opinion may differ. Take care, OUT.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quote: She can conceal it under her scrubs (medical uniform) without any problems.

Being in the med profession is a double edged sword. They also see GSW, Medicos know shot placement... That improves the effectiveness of a lessor caliber. Also, medicos have to maintain a clear head in "Crisis" situations.

It will come down to the will to use lethal force. Use of this defensive gun likely be at very close range.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Slacker...Kudos to your wife.  She has selected the most size and weight efficient pistol ever made.  I love my P-32s, and anybody who tells you that it is not an appropriate pistol for self-defense needs to eat 8 WW .32 Silvertips then come back later to further discuss it with you. Not gonna happen!

[pistol]  

You could always ask them this question:

Q: What is the best combat handgun ever made?

A: The one that is in your hand whenever the SHTF.

And the Kel-Tec is small and light enough that she is more likely to carry it with her everywhere than she would something heavier and bulkier.
Enjoy, and be confident in her very wise selection.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Armed,
 Lets just the the folks who read this thread deceide who's logic is faulty. My guess is that you have no clue what the hell your talking about. Others opinion may differ. Take care, OUT.
View Quote

maybe the first one who stops intelligently debating the issue and starts insulting is the one who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

i've carried for years, have read hundreds of gun articles, have a completed minor in physics, am a expert marksman in the army... I think I can hold my own thanks.

-Armed
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#18]
oh, and i guess your answer is you'd rather be shot by a 44 mag while wearing heavy winter clothing than by 5 shots of .25 acp.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Armed, I agree that you should be shooting the most powerful weapon that you can effectively control. If that's a 44mag for you, then so be it. If Slacker's gal is proficient with .32, then so be it.

I consider myself recoil sensitive, and probably will do far more damage with 5 shots of .25 than 1 shot of .44mag. (I shoot 9mm)

Slackers wife can move up to 38spec's later, but why are you heckling her for starting with a 32acp? I would be very proud.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Slackers wife can move up to 38spec's later, but why are you heckling her for starting with a 32acp? I would be very proud.
View Quote

when did i heckle?  i too was happy she wanted to carry and was doing so.  did you read the whole thread?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Armed,
I'm sure your a pinball wizard when it comes to guns. I never expected anything different.
You are not, however, an expert on what my finace shoots or carries well. I would rather her carry a 22 mag derringer (that she shot well) than a 9mm that she couldn't shoot well.
Your expertise is noted. Carry on.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#22]
*sigh*

guess i'll go hunt for some threads where the thread-starter would like intelligent conversation instead of acting like a baby (with not-so-clever sarcasm) when someone tries to discuss the issue and it doesn't match up with his reasoning

i'm glad your fiance decided to carry, i wish more women realized the need.  i'm also glad she had a supportive person, like yourself, there to get her started.

i pray she never has to use it (and no, not because i don't agree w/ the caliber choice... just for her well-being)
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#23]
P32 is a great choice.....and even a "little" .32 can put the serious hurt on a bad guy. NEVER underestimate small-calibers in the hands of a proficient shooter!

Now look at that last word...."proficient".
She needs to practice, practice and practice some more, until she "feels" proficient (anyone carrying needs to do this). Several hundred rounds is a good start. Also, tweak the gun (see www.KTOG.org and check out the "fluff and buff" recommendations. These'll make a reliable P32 even more trustworthy, and if she does these herself she'll learn how it functions, too!
Then find a good, accurate ammo for her gun. Silvertips have had some bad press due to expansion problems, but all hollowpoints fail from time to time. My P32 really likes Federal Hydra-shok ammo.....most accurate!! For Winter carry, most .32 HP ammo will have trouble penetrating heavier clothing.....Ball ammo seems to be recommended more often as it doesn't jam and still penetrates sufficiently.
(many .32 hollowpoints will "rimlock" occasionally....see recommendations for curing these woes at www.KTOG.org......lotsa good help here for KelTec owners).

Study the legal and psychological aspects of taking another's life in self defense. Many good books on Concealed Carry and self defensc at Amazon.com, etc. You don't want her to wind up in jail for 2nd degree murder for trying to defend herself......

KelTec P32 will drop in your pocket and become invisible. When I wear a coat I carry something larger, but on a hot summer day, my P32 goes where I do.

Remember, if it's big and bulky, you won't carry it all the time and if you don't carry all the time, chances are you won't have it when you need it.

Best of luck and hoping you never need more than simply the peace of mind it will bring you.

john
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Postal:

*P32 is a great choice.....and even a "little" .32 can put the serious hurt on a bad guy.*

So can throwing rocks, but that doesn't mean it should be your primary source of defense.

*NEVER underestimate small-calibers in the hands of a proficient shooter!*

How far would you take this?  Would you justify carrying .25 acp or .22 shorts?

*Now look at that last word...."proficient".
She needs to practice, practice and practice some more, until she "feels" proficient (anyone carrying needs to do this). Several hundred rounds is a good start.*

I couldn't agree more.

*Also, tweak the gun (see www.KTOG.org and check out the "fluff and buff" recommendations. These'll make a reliable P32 even more trustworthy...*

I'm a member at ktog too.  My opinion is, if the gun works perfectly out of the box, one should not fluff and buff.  Good maintenance is of course advisable; I well oil my pistols and always apply grease in the proper places (learned some tips from Chan Bates over there).

*Then find a good, accurate ammo for her gun.*

agreed

*Silvertips have had some bad press due to expansion problems, but all hollowpoints fail from time to time. My P32 really likes Federal Hydra-shok ammo.....most accurate!! For Winter carry, most .32 HP ammo will have trouble penetrating heavier clothing.....Ball ammo seems to be recommended more often as it doesn't jam and still penetrates sufficiently.
(many .32 hollowpoints will "rimlock" occasionally....see recommendations for curing these woes at www.KTOG.org......lotsa good help here for KelTec owners)*

I personally will never carry anything but fmj in my p32.  In a low-power caliber such as .32 acp, I want all the advantage for penetration I can get.

*Study the legal and psychological aspects of taking another's life in self defense. Many good books on Concealed Carry and self defensc at Amazon.com, etc. You don't want her to wind up in jail for 2nd degree murder for trying to defend herself......*

more good advice, and i would recommend a certain book: "The Practical Pistol Manual: How to Use a Handgun for Self-Defense" by Bill Clede, which can be bought here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0915463741/qid=1037996081/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-0814654-1504957?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 for only 8 dollars.

*Best of luck and hoping you never need more than simply the peace of mind it will bring you.*

amen to that
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey "armed",
WOW!!
I'm so glad there's someone here who really knows a lot more about everything than me. Shucks, I've only been heavily into guns for a wee bit over 40 years....only have two safes full at home and only a modest class 3 collection to boot...I must not know what I'm talking about.
I was really REALLY happy that you agreed with a couple of my points....and thanks SO much for nicely critiqueing my reply line by line (reminds me of when I was in the second grade).... I'm humbled to be on the same board with you! God only knows I may have led someone down the wrong path were you not there to correct me (as well as everyone else in this string!!).

I guess what it really boils down to is that "yours is bigger" than mine.

Have a nice day, pal.

john
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#26]
postal:

errrr, i was just trying to have a friendly discussion/debate... perhaps you read it and imagined i was writing with a elitist and/or sarcastic tone.

i like to reply line per line b/c so many times on boards like this people will ignore a lot of a post.  i personally prefer when people respond to my posts that way.

i'm not sure why you've taken offense, i'd really appreciate it if you stuck around and shared your experience with guns (incidently, i personally know people who have owned guns longer than yourself but wouldn't know squat about certain subjects, years don't have to equate to knowledge and common sense)
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Imagined it.....right!!
Just like a half-dozen others in this string imagined it also....

Just because you've carried for years and have read hundreds of gun articles doesn't make you an expert. in-the-know, yes, but not an expert.
I personally know lots of liberals who believe they are experts on all issues because they read newspapers from cover to cover every day. Now I'm certainly not calling anyone a Liberal (that's just too nasty!) but the fact is that
Gunwriters are in the business of selling magazines. Period.
I too have read hundreds of gun articles from dozens of self-proclaimed experts.....and found plenty of contradictions!! Ya gotta take it all lightly and do your own research!!
A degree in physics doesn't necessarily a ballistician make either. And a pewter medal from the armed forces doesn't mean you know all about how a hollowpoint reacts as it passes through body tissue, it only means you're a decent shot. I can shoot also.

I've read plenty myself and don't claim to be an expert.....that's why you won't see me here criticizing other posts. I only seek to inform and steer when I can help. I leave it up to others to take what I write (with a grain of salt, as I'm incorrect as much as anyone else)These boards are mostly entertainment with a bit of education sprinkled over the top.

If you don't agree with what I write, it's your right to reply and/or voice your own opinion. However, I believe the original poster was lookimg for a wee bit of advice and reassurance, not a long-winded string of self-righteousness.

I have no doubts that you probably know more than me on this topic.....I'm just tired of hearing about it.

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
'Nuff said.
View Quote

good, i'm tired of your whining
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#29]
This thread sure did go down hill fast. I was going to show it to my fiance so she would see that there are alot of people who have the same beliefs as she and I do, now I don't think I will. Shit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#30]
slacker:

as i said before, i'm certainly glad she's decided to carry and is following through on it.  everyone has shared that opinion.  you could still show her the unanimous support in her decision to carry.

also, i would be curious to know if she's managed to win any of her female friends over in the idea that it's smart to carry.  i always enjoy hearing about those who realize the need.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I swear I want to slap every one of you on this thread.

Spend your energy getting girls to pack.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
haha, fair enough
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Slacker...Kudos to your wife.  She has selected the most size and weight efficient pistol ever made.  I love my P-32s, and anybody who tells you that it is not an appropriate pistol for self-defense needs to eat 8 WW .32 Silvertips then come back later to further discuss it with you. Not gonna happen!

[pistol]  

You could always ask them this question:

Q: What is the best combat handgun ever made?

A: The one that is in your hand whenever the SHTF.

And the Kel-Tec is small and light enough that she is more likely to carry it with her everywhere than she would something heavier and bulkier.
Enjoy, and be confident in her very wise selection.
View Quote

Agreed!  Excellent points all!  My grandfather, at the age of 79, used a .32 L (while not the same exact caliber, they are similar in power) S&W revolver in self-defense and killed his attacker.  His drunken s-i-l broke in and charged at him with a knife.  Three shots in the heart, two in the same hole, killed him.  My grandfather had always liked plinking and I remember him showing off his shooting skills to me when I was about four or five.  A couple of years later the practicing paid off. His excellent shot placement saved his life.  The most important thing is that one has the means to defend himself or herself.  I have a Keltec P-32 myself, and a couple of 9 mms.

Thanks for the good news Slacker.  I always like to hear about another armed woman.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Slacker, here is a post you can show your fiance...
I have a p32 that I carry because it is light, easily concealed and I feel comfortable with it.  I can carry it with jeans, a nice dress or sweats if I choose.  I would not mind carrying something larger, but as a professional woman, our clothing does not allow that and frankly, I am not 100% comfortable with that (yet).  We often do not have pockets or jackets that make that an option.  I would much rather have the surprise element in my favor...how many gun-toting librarians are out there?  I know lots of women that are not comfortable carrying, so if she is starting out light, at least she is starting!!!  Anyway, I think seven Glaser safety slugs are a pretty nice gift to any a$$hole that wants to harm a meek little librarian or medical person! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top