Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2002 2:00:37 PM EDT
My wife is responsible for setting up speakers for the "SC Insurance Women" group.

She asked me to do 20- 30 minute address on safety, women and gun issues.

So, I'm brainstorming here. And looking for good ideas and topics to cover in the speech.

I'm looking for:

1. Sources of relevant statistics(tho I don't wanna overdo it)

2. Visual aids to get points across (I gotta talk to the facility director to see if a single firearm would be allowed on the premises.)

3. Angles and perspectives that would interest women.

4. Any other good suggestions.

So, lay it on me ladies. If you ever wanted to tell garandman what to do (that doesn't include where to go heh,heh) THIS IS YOUR BIG CHANCE!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
my personal favorite is to compare the "chances" of getting raped (as illustrated by the "1 in 4" statistic i think) to the lifetime chance of having breast cancer (last time i check it was 1 in 9).

most women focus on breast cancer because the media exposure of cancer in general and breast cancer specifically is far greater than the exposure of rape occurences.

i think it really hits home to a gal that she's got a greater statistical chance of being the victim of rape than she does of having cancer.

also mention the physical factor:  unless she's Chyna or Xena: warrior princess most women aren't physically capable of warding off an attacker when it's reduced to strength against strength.

and the one that makes them think:  ask them how they would plan to defend themselves in the following situations....

1.you're home alone with the kids and you hear someone breaking in your back door

2.you're out shopping with the kids and someone tries to kidnap one while you're loading the groceries in the car

3.someone tries to carjack you on your way home at night

4.some jerk on the road starts driving aggressively (tailgating, hitting the brakes in front of you)

9 times out of 10, they'll respond with call 911.  then i love to tell them that a) you can't be sure the response time will be sufficient to stop the intruder from gaining access to your house b) police have no legal obligation to stop a crime in progress (though most will try, of course) and c) how can they physically call 911 when they're trying to get their baby back or they're trying to ward off an attacker?

basically, the self defense issue is generally the biggest motivator for women (that darn emotional thing).  but it wouldn't hurt to read some good quotes of the founding fathers stressing the importance of firearm ownership rights.

of course, have the crime vs. gun ownership stats handy too.  some one will inevitably bring up higher crime because of gun ownership.  my favorite example is to ask which states have the highest crimes.  then ask which states (cities too) have the strictest gun laws.  take it a step further by asking which states have the highest per capita rate of gun ownership and comparing those states' crime stats with those of the aforementioned states with strict laws.

i think it's great that your doing this.  i'd say that most of my suggestions after the self defense issue (since that will hit them the hardest) aren't necessary for the discussion but are more for "i'm glad you asked that.  i have ..... right here to help us answer that." type of scenarios.  back up ammo, so to speak.

let us know how it goes.

oh, yeah, you wanted sources.  [url]www.guntruths.com[/url] has got oodles of them.  plenty to pick from.  the NRA website, of course.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So attendees can expect 2-3 minutes of gun talk followed by 27-28 minutes of "The Jews are Destroying The Planet", right??

Just kidding, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#3]
AR Lady -

EXCELLENT stuff. You've given me the framework for the discussion.

Now my turn to go flesh it out.

Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

police have no legal obligation to stop a crime in progress (though most will try, of course) rights.
View Quote

Not trying to highjack the thread but I'm up late and bored. I just have to dispel this since I see it repeated on this board from time to time. Police Officers most certainly do have a legal obligation to stop crime. Ohio Revised Code section 2921.44(A)(2) "Dereliction of duty" states;

(A) No Law Enforcement Officer shall negligently do any of the following;
(2) Fail to prevent or halt the commission of an offense or to apprehend an offender, when it is in the Law Enforcement Officer's power to do so alone or with available assistance.

It is a 2nd degree misdemeanor (a lessor offense than D.U.I.) but a conviction would end an officers career. I hope your speaking engagement is a success.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top