Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 5:43:04 PM EDT
Maybe a little off-topic, but I was watching "Hogan's Heroes" on TVland the other day and I swore SGT. Shultz was carrying a Krag-Jorgenson, I could see the side loading gate. Has anyone else ever seen this?
[rolleyes]
You have to wonder if the prop guy did this on purpose just for fun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It is very possible.  Germany (and the Frogs and Brits) probably captured a large portion of the Norwegian small arms after the invasion.

I used to have a Norwegian Krag model 1894.  I understand production of these continued through the war (#2 that is!) and were issued to second line troops.

An interesting thing about my Krag - it was a parts gun.  A previous owner had a stock I placed on this.  He had glass bedded it to another Norwegian Krag, which had German proofmarks on the bottom of the barreled action.  I seem to remember a swastika, but it was most likely a waffenampt stamp(s).

If I could find that rifle again, I would pay double what I had sold it for.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I you ever saw the movie "The Fighting Seabees" with "The Duke" The japs all had Kregs.[;)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I can’t remember the name of it, but I recall recently seeing a WWII era British war movie in which the German soldiers had Lee-Enfields.  

I recall many old gangster/private detective movies where everyone seemed to have the same handgun (apparently the actors swapped it between scenes).

I recall older Western movies where cowboys carried double action Colt New Service revolvers with swing out cylinders.  These revolvers had metal welded underneath the barrel to look like a percussion revolver loading lever.

In the movie “Sergeant York”, Gary Cooper carried a 1903 Springfield; supposedly the real Sergeant York carried a 1917 Enfield.

If my memory hasn’t failed, I recall a British officer in Disney’s “Swamp Fox” with a percussion pistol.

Etc., etc.

I’ve also seen the Krag in Hogan’s Heroes (hard to miss that magazine gate) – I suspect it was what the prop guy had lying about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I you ever saw the movie "The Fighting Seabees" with "The Duke" The japs all had Kregs.[;)]
View Quote

I think John Wayne had a Krag too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry Chuck your right and I can't type to save my life. Krag it is[:)]. HvyAR John Wayne used a "captured" Krag. Think I am going to watch it again tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top