Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2001 7:59:35 PM EDT
Are they still in service? I had heard the USAF wanted to dump them right before the Gulf War. Did they get their wish?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
We still got them.They fly Low and Slow,but are every tankers nightmare!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The USAF has several units still operating A-10's.  Also the ANG and USAFR operate several units each.

FWIW....Geno
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are they still in service? I had heard the USAF wanted to dump them right before the Gulf War. Did they get their wish?
View Quote

Actually, back in 1981, one of my supervisors was telling me the Air Force wanted to get rid of them at that time. The Soviets had started a refit for the T-72 that involved putting radar controlled multi-barreled guns on their turrets as the counter-measure to the A-10.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You can go to
http://www.dm.af.mil/354FS/default.htm
I used to be an Aircraft Maintenance Officer there - one hell of a good flying gun.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
One was flying around Ft. Polk a few years ago when I was there for JRTC.  Hearing it fire is somthing you never forget.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
PA's 111th Air Nat'l Guard still has them flying out of Willow Grove NAS. Talk about a double-take when you see one flying low-they've got the most distinctive silhouette in the air...
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I was at the Tampa Bay Buc's game Sunday (no comments from the peanut gallery on that game!!!).  Anyway, they had an A10-warthog do a fly over of the stadium.  Usually only the home opener gets a flyover, but since Sept. 11th we've had one at each of the 2 home games so far.  The cool thing was that since I've had my partial season tickets we've seen a B52, b2 (unfortunately missed it, wasn't our game), last game against Greenbay we had a 4 pack of something, couldn't hear what they said it was, F4's maybe????.  The best part about the A10 was that after passing the stadium, it tipped both wings pretty impressively, not just a little dip, but a hefty tilt.

Thought it was cool!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I was once driving down a highway canyon when a pair of A-10's came screaming down the canyon at treetop level, probably disobeying a bunch of regulations but they were cool to watch
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
They have A-10's here in Arizona at Davis Monthan.
Here's the link to Davis Monthan webpage:

[url]http://www.dm.af.mil/default.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Couple of years ago at an airshow we had the chopper on display.  They had an A-10 on display as well.  They fired the thing up and he put on a nice demo of some of it's capabilities.  Toward the end of his program he flew formation with a P-51 Mustang!!!!!!  VERY impressive.

A-10 is ugly as sin but if I was a tank driver that thing would make me crap my drawers.  Slow and can hang around for a long time.  Thing is well armed and very deadly.  Hope they stay in the inventory for many years.

Just like the Cobra - old but deadly as hell, reliable and cheap to operate, relatively speaking.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking out the window right now at a flightline full of them, as well as a bunch of the coolest aircraft in the USAF - the C-130!  Nothing like 12 Herks taking off . . . mmmmmm.  Sorry, I forgot myself for a moment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
We still have the In AK as well at E.A.F.B

Clinth
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Michigan Air Guard still has them and they should hang on to them as long as possible !!

Have called them in for CAS (close air support) training missions and they are awesome.  F-16 pilots didn't come below 3,000 ft.  Warthog drivers were frequently below us on the ridge tops, and would pop-up and flip upside down to aquire the target !!  Then roll back in and shoot the hell out of whatever... gives me the chills still.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If you ever get the chance you must see a fire power demo by a Warthog.They have to be seen to be believed. The thing is a cannon that we built an airplane around.I saw one turn a T54 tank into swiss cheese in seconds.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We still have the In AK as well at E.A.F.B

Clinth
View Quote

we do have them in AK but not at Elmendorf AFB.  they are stationed beside F-16's at Eilson AFB in Fairbanks.  Elmendorf has F-15 C,D, and E's.  its a blast to see them shoot live fire!  im the lucky one that gets to strip the anodizing of the 30mm case to polish the aluminum and make a dummy bullet for plaques.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I guarded them in kuwait in 1995 and 1996
they are still awesome
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome vid of an A-10 strafing a ground target.
[url]http://www.danshistory.com/a10strafe.avi[/url]
[img]http://www.danshistory.com/a10mav.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.viewzone.com/gunview.final.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The unofficial Davis-Monthan AFB website:

http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCDBSummaryByTypeAdv.asp

lists 180 A-10s in the boneyard as of the end of August.  As I recall, over half the inventory was sent there about 1992.  I hope they keep them in good order as there is simply no substitute.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Great video, USN Joe.

Poor Osama & Omar probably see it in their nightmares.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I first saw them in the 70's when I was in the Corps,,they were awesome,,I knew that they would prove to be of great use in the future,,damm shame that Republic aircraft on Long Island "the cradle of aviation" went out of business after investing most of their assets in a trainer for the Air Force to replace the old Cessna Dragonfly,,then again Grumman was also destroyed on the Island,,to great aviation companies no longer of use for the defense of this great country. Thats OK the power elite will just have to buy what ever we need from  Red China, Profit Baby? In the long run who will profit from global trade? First it was NAFTA,,then GATT,, money makes the world go around the world go around, the world go around,,then what? "let them eat cake!"
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember trying to outrun iron bombs from F16s droping them form 6000 ft, our FAC was pissed. But the A10s came in at antena level and those guys where awsome. You get 4 M2 Bradleys firing at one bunker and one A10 comeing in and giving it a short burst, DAMN!
I kind of like that airplane.
[salute]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#22]
How cool would it have been to have some A-10's straffing the highway of NVA tanks on their way to Saigon?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#23]
They are still flying around Philly, PA.  Come out of Willow Grove NAS.  They sure are UGLYYY.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
They're still flying them at Davis-Montham, when I was there last year visiting the Pima air museum they flew over head all day long.
[img]http://www.erobbins.com/vacation/arizona2/images/pima61.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I read that during the Gulf war the A10 was the plane most pilots wanted to fly.  

I love the sound of them and think they are beautiful. [:)]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top