Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2001 10:47:52 AM EDT
ok, this past week was open house at the local high school. of course i went as a step parent that takes education pretty serious. anyhow, we go to the history class to meet the teacher and get the course outline.

one of the goals was (don't hurl lunch on me please) stated as 'respect for and understanding of different cultures'.

the civil was will be covered and here is where i need a book recommendation. it was tought in my time (i'm 52) the only reason for the war was to make all slaves free. now, i have seen other posts that state it was an economic war waged by the north.

anyone have a good book i can read so that when the step-daughter comes to me i can have 'a wealth of info' that is not the typical liberal fell good garbage fed by the screwed up education system?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#1]
youre going to have trouble finding a single reference to cover this. since most authors want to promote a paricular agenda, such as "states' rights" or economics or slavery, it's hard to find a good reference that will treat each issue fairly in it's turn. but i'll look on my shelf tonight and see if i have a title or 2 i can recommend.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#2]
As a researcher of Union regiments during the Civil War, I recommend you find books written by the men who were there, not the arm-chair historians of today.  My area of knowledge is with the Union side of the Civil War, I'll let my "Southern" brothers vouch for their own thoughts.  If you read the many Union regimental histories and memoirs, the Civil War was viewed as primarily about preservation of the Union.  Though certainly many abolitionists served within the Union forces, ending slavery was not the reason most joined to fight.  One Captain from a Wisconsin unit bitterly complained about Lincoln's Emancipation Proclimation, indicating that creating "Colored Regiments" only siphoned off supplies and support from his unit.  

I'm happy to help you in any way possible if you'd like.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Two books I found very good sources were "Johnny Reb" and Billy Yank". They both were about the common soldier and describes the conditions they fought and why they fought.
The Rebs were mainly fighting for their states and homes. The Yanks saw preservation of the Union as their reason to enlist.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#4]
thankyou all, Forever, i may be getting back to you if it is alright. the class has not reached the Civil War yet so i still have a little time.

Once again, thanks everyone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top