Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:23:13 PM EDT

I'm reading this book by Noam Chomsky called Hegemony or Survival, basically it says that the US is a bad country that supports evil around the world.  I'm reading it because I guess Noam is the Left's foremost intellectual and I want to know what they actually think.

Anyway, he says that Vietnam invaded Cambodia in 1978 to put a stop to Pol Pot's atrocities, and that the US tried to punish Vietnam for this by backing the KR and subjecting Vietnam to a "US-backed Chinese invasion."

I doubt this is true, but were there any things the US did there that could be spun as "helping" the KR?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Noam Chomsky hates everything America stands for and will thus lie and say anything he can think of to damage its reputation. Don't believe a word that comes from that mans mouth. I am not saying the US has always been totally flawless in its foreign affairs, because it definetly hasn't, but I still wouldn't believe a thing that man says.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I smell Bullshit

China gave large scale support to KR, but I have never heard a single peep about U.S. support
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Noam Chomsky hates everything America stands for and will thus lie and say anything he can think of to damage its reputation. Don't believe a word that comes from that mans mouth. I am not saying the US has always been totally flawless in its foreign affairs, because it definetly hasn't, but I still wouldn't believe a thing that man says.

I once saw a drug dealer stop at a stop sign. Point: even the scum of the earth can sometimes get something right.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I know a buddy of mine killed a bunch of Khmer Rouge punks in 75 with a 12 guage.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I did a thesis on Pol Pot and yes Vietnam did invade Cambodia to get rid of Pol Pot. However, I don't remember reading anything about the United States being involved in S.E. Asian affairs after our final pull out of Saigon in '75. In fact if I remember right most of the books I used in my reasearch mentioned a lot about us staying out of it and letting the Asians handle it themselves.

Until more knowledgable people come along, I say BS. Sounds like his tinfoil hat has broke.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
<Snip> "US-backed Chinese invasion." <Snip>

Noam Chomsky is a stark raving lunatic.  

I don't know who's more full of shit: him or Kurt Vonnegut.  Probably Chomsky.  Vonnegut is likely genuinely senile and insane.  Chomsky is just fucking evil.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
For the record, Chomsky is an America-hating leftist moonbat who for a while denied that the genocide was happening at all.

Now as to the claim that the US helped the KR: one of my left-leaning professors once told me about this. I didn't believe him so I went and did a little research and found several sources that supported this claim. I'm afraid I don't remember the exact details, but most of the allegations can be traced to an article in Covert Action Quarterly by a guy named John Pilger.

If I can dig something up I'll post it here.

Edit:

carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/parameters/1994/farris.htm

he few Khmer Rouge forces that managed to escape the Vietnamese army gathered in small enclaves in the northwest of Cambodia, along the Thai-Cambodian border. From there, supported by Thailand, China, and partly financed by the United States, the Khmer Rouge regained strength and once again initiated guerrilla warfare, this time against the occupying Vietnamese forces and the Vietnamese-installed Cambodian government.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
... Vietnam invaded Kampuchea to settle an Old Borderline Dispute...Dumping Pol Pot is a convenient/good excuse for the International Communuties...as the kmer rouge army of thugs collapsed under the Full Force of the Vietnamese "Liberation"...the Rouge ran into Thai refugee camps as "civilians"...And, yes, the US helped to run these refugee centers in Thailand thru the United Nations Humanitarian Refugee Funds...We were there not to help the Kmer Rouges; but to help the poor peoples of Kampuchea.

... In my eyes, Chomsky is out to hurt the USA. He should be deported to Antartica...All of his HOT AIR can be used to melt the ice from that Frozen Continent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top