Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 11:01:17 AM EDT
In an issue of American Rifleman, I remember an old poster and a short story about "Civilize them with a Kraig".  If I am not mistaken, Max Boot, in The Savage Wars of Peace also mentions this expression.  I am interested in the full story and origin of it, but internet seaches are not bringing up anything.  Would anyone care to help?  Thanks and...

Civilize them with a Kraig!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In an issue of American Rifleman, I remember an old poster and a short story about "Civilize them with a Kraig".  If I am not mistaken, Max Boot, in The Savage Wars of Peace also mentions this expression.  I am interested in the full story and origin of it, but internet seaches are not bringing up anything.  Would anyone care to help?  Thanks and...

Civilize them with a Kraig!

I believe it's "Krag" as in the Krag-Jorgensen rifle/carbine. I found this and this. I don't believe either is the full version though. Maybe.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Spiff, you are correct.  That's why my searches didn't bring anything up.  I just did a search for "Krag" and got a whole bunch of info.  

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This was  adifferent tome and place the "white man's burden" was real and the world was insane and most culturesa were seen as backward and savage.

Impearalism in america was only partly material, it was mostly ideoliogical spread democracy christ and capitalism to the savages

when the "culturing" of these lands became diffucult the Krag was the tool for civilizing savages

the phillipeanes ofcourse but also CHina(boxers), Hati. Central America, and our own west
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the whole song.

http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiDAMFILIP;ttDAMFILIP.html
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This was  adifferent tome and place the "white man's burden" was real and the world was insane and most culturesa were seen as backward and savage.

Impearalism in america was only partly material, it was mostly ideoliogical spread democracy christ and capitalism to the savages

when the "culturing" of these lands became diffucult the Krag was the tool for civilizing savages

the phillipeanes ofcourse but also CHina(boxers), Hati. Central America, and our own west

The "White Man's Burden" is still alive and real, although in these more politically correct times we might need an updated name for it.  I read that poem to my guys in Iraq, some of whom were not white and they all agreed with it.  Kipling knew what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread reminds me - I haven't shot my Krag in years.

I might just have to go take it for a workout this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top