Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 11:45:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the post. I never knew the origions of the story until now. I was just glad that I had a sixth grade teacher that did not feed us all of the bunk in the books. I hope to continue on that grand tradition very soon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, Parson Weems' work is utter horse hockey, as is the old saw about Washington hurling a silver dollar across the Delaware- or Potomac, depending which version you hear. The legends tell more about the tellers than about their subjects. Washington was larger than life- his personality and deeds need no exaggeration.

Wood's painting is basically yet another debunking of national myths. You could argue that Weems in the pic is Grant Wood, smiling like Mona Lisa, pulling back the curtain and showing an utterly ridiculous scene with a little boy with an older man's face and hair. He is saying, yes, this is ridiculous, but you people fell for it anyway.

It was fashionable during the 1920s and 1930s to show our Founding Fathers in a critical light. Calvin Coolidge had a famous author visit him at the White House, who had just written a book very critical of Washington. The author, whose name escapes me, went on at length about how bad Washington was. After a while, the conversation died down, and Coolidge, who up to now had said almost nothing, broke the silence with his observation, while looking out the window, "I see his (Washington's) statue is still there..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top