Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 6:57:37 AM EDT
It seems that most discussion here is about events in history, and that's fine.  We should be familiar with past events and trends.  Digging into the details of wars, battles, and past societies is challenging and rewarding.

What about applying the lessons of history to current events?

If the past remains academic, rather than us gleaning practical application to today's situation from its lessons, what use is the knowledge?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If we don't use the knowledge of the past to improve the present and future, then it is knowledge wasted.  I was listening to Sean Hannity, I think, last night and he had Charles Rangel who called GWB "our Bull Connor."  Hannity was talking about how little liberal help programs have helped with the issue of the poor and poverty, etc.  Rangel kept arguing about past events not having any bearing on what we do today.  Hannity kept trying to tell him that he wants to do the same types of things today that was done in the past that didn't work.  

Basically, we must look to the past in order to improve.  If not, then we will have to learn the same lessons over and over and make the same mistakes time and again.  There is no reason for that.  We must use that knowledge and apply it to todays world and hopefully better our nation.  I'm afraid that liberals don't understand that.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I would agree with you and the old cliche that hostory repeats itself.

Unfortuantly, history has shown that ignorance, and idiocy are here to stay.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep.  The point is that the study of history is more than a recreational activity.  We must apply its lessons to current events, or the wheel will just keep spinning round & round.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
ok,,,show me where anyone that has remembered their past to improve their future? Yes I most definatly agree it should be.
Case in point  70's  Oil embargo,,we need to be energy self reliant,renewables are needed .
Today,,well where are we ? oh let's open ANWR ,there's plenty of oil.It takes an estimated 5-10yrs to get refineries,drill rigs ,supply up and running.meanwhile renewables have taken a back seat til now.
history isn't  just wars / feuds,,it's economics,social intergration,politics ect ect ect

just my humble 2cents
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#5]
We forgot that when we liberated Europe, we had "provisional governments in exile" riding on the coattails of the liberating armies.  We forgot to do that for the sandbox.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top