Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 7:19:08 PM EDT
I'm new, so please don't anyone get angry, but I have a suggestion.  Why not change the name of the forum from "History" to something less menacing and more intriguing, such as "Yesterday to Today," or even "Yesterday Until Tomorrow?"

I learned to love history in college.  I had some excellent professors.  I wrote a paper in 1978 predicting the disintegration of the Soviet Union based upon historical trends. I remember my profs telling me how intelligent the paper was, but not even they could bring themselves to agree with my conclusion.  My knowledge of the past allowed me to forsee the future!  Now, that was cool!

I've heard too many people tell me that they hated "History" in school, usually because some bore "taught" it.  To many people, history means memorizing names, dates, and places.  To me, it is a giant soap opera with countless stories of people dealing with issues we never dreamed about.  So, why not change the forum's name to something less "school" sounding?

Just my two cents.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
How about Hystery?  Of course, effen there's enough B.Sers around here, we can call it old lies brought to light.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How is the word history menacing? Changing it sounds PC to me.

previously posted - "I've heard too many people tell me that they hated "History" in school, usually because some bore 'taught' it. To many people, history means memorizing names, dates, and places."

It was a suggestion, nothing more.  I didn't post it to argue, and it won't break my heart, or upset me in the least if the administration maintains the current forum title.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If people are interested in history they will come, if not, they will stay away no matter wht you call it.

That's a fair assessment.  Titling the forum "History" made it easy for me to find.

On the other hand, packaging sells.

I've found that my children were not interested in History, not at first.  Yep, too much like school.  So, I brought home movies, such as "Beckett," starring Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole.  They enjoyed the story, so I brought  home "Lion in Winter," also about King Richard II.  Another film I brought was "Mutiny and the Bounty" starring Marlon Brando.  The idea of "History" as being more than dates and places grew on them.  They enjoyed watching the Battle of Agincourt (Henry V), and the History Channel became a place of interesting stories masquerading as "History."  Even distorted contemporary movies made them wonder about historical events, such as Mel Gibson's "The Patriot," or "U-571."  My two girls, ages 16 and 21, found Band Of Brothers riveting, and "Patton" compelling.  So, I introduced them to History as a soap opera of the ages, something not taught by average school teachers.  Believe me, I know.  I substituted for some of them.

How much traffic is our History forum getting?  Could it be increased if labeled differently than a High School class?  Probably those of us who visit this forum see history as a living subject, but too often it is taught as a subject about dead people and stale events.  History is like a compass which can guide us through current events. For instance, the influence of Muhammed on what is happening today is remarkable.  

So, keep an open mind and think about it.  That's all I ask.

Thanks,

K Clay Dawson

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top