Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2004 5:32:48 AM EDT
I'd be interested to knnow who, here, has participated in a piece of our country's history.

I've been to combat - some fire fights - but nothing spectacular.  Outside of my military service...nothing.

Please tell us what you've been a part of.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I voted in the 2000 election and helped "steal" the election from the democrats.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I was there when the Berlin Wall fell.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
i served in the iraq hostage crisses ....ya know the one that   f*##ed up out in the desert
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i served in the iraq hostage crisses ....ya know the one that   f*##ed up out in the desert

Don't you mean IRAN hostage crisis?  And that sort of fucks up your credibility with claiming to have been at Desert One.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I served up the largest bowel movement ever last night!

But seriously, umm I got shrapnel in the ass from a f'ed suicide bombing in 1999.  Mahane Yehudah - I believe it was the only event of that year in Jerusalem - a real isolated incident.   anyhow, the detanator went off, but the main charge failed, so a couple of folks around the car got minor nuts and bolts in them - the guy I was with got it in the back to, but he has permanent wounds..  The guy who plowed into the market was torn to shreds by a HAIL of M16 fire, at least 2-4 IDF at entrance and a couple of reservists opened up....  The car looked like a noodle strainer when they were done.

What else.......  I was on the the bridge to the battery (3rd ave ?) when the trade centers were hit.  That was messed up.

And uhhhh  Oh yeah, that same year in Jerusalem,  I was having sushi with lieberman in the (then) hilton and I believe that was the first time ever he told anyone he was officially running for VP - I asked him point blank in 1999 and he said straight out yes.  I scooped everyone!

That's it.

I COULD HAVE been at the last pink floyd concert ever -  mid/late 80's at the hayden planetarium.  My best friends uncle (now my bro-in-law) invited me + my buddy to see it with him, but we were like 10 and we literally said" We're not going to see a band with the name pink in it you loser, we're gonna play legos."  Exact quote, I shit you not.  I have not stopped hating myself for that day.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I COULD HAVE been at the last pink floyd concert ever -  mid/late 80's at the hayden planetarium.  My best friends uncle (now my bro-in-law) invited me + my buddy to see it with him, but we were like 10 and we literally said" We're not going to see a band with the name pink in it you loser, we're gonna play legos."  Exact quote, I shit you not.  I have not stopped hating myself for that day.

Well, it wasn't the LAST one, because I saw them in Berlin in 1988.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it wasn't the LAST one, because I saw them in Berlin in 1988.

Pink Floyd announces the "No really, this is our last album and tour, the final final cut, really... this time we mean it, no more coming back in a year or so, this is the real deal final, last once and forever show!"

BTW: I saw them in the "Delicate Sound of Thunder" and "Learning to Fly" Tours (I'm pretty sure those were the concert names?)... both in the 90s -- Heck, I think  they did a final tour in the early 90s for "Final Cut" didn't they?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#9]
In December of 1968, under the command of Lt. J. Kerry, I entered Cambodia on the LT's Swift boat, there we went ashore and rescued enemy held, downed fighter pilot Duke Tully... really, 60 Minutes will be covering the rescue next week.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#10]
didnt say was on desert 1 was on carrier out in the indian ocaen for 100 and somthin days iran iraq they are all the same to me matterofact our captin was made commander of the 7th Adrmral Dunlevey
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#13]
oh well fuckem if they cant take a joke about 4000 other guys were not a part of this ether how the fuck ya think the helos got there ??? and i delibertly dont spell  check or punctuate cause im lazy
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies gang.  Much obliged.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i participated in the only "ebola" outbreak and cleanup on US soil. Hazelton labs, reston Va.

Were you nervous having to participate in the cleanup?   I have went into a few isolation rooms of patients with multi-drug resistant TB and have this uneasiness despite how protected I am.

I can't think of anything I could would call truly historical that I have participated in.  The closest thing I can think of is that I went to the inaugural race at the now long gone Ontario Motor Speedway.

ETA:  If some of you guys get your wishes I'll be part of one of the greatest natural disasters ever seen: when California breaks off the continental shelf and slips into the ocean.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I attended the last half of what became the longest running baseball game in history (I had tickets to the other game, the record-seting game actually started the day prior, and was postponed after about 15 innings, to be played before the next day's game).  This was in the old Comiskey Park in Chicago - I am guessing maybe 1985 or so.  

After so many innings, they announce it had surpassed the American league record.  A few inning later, they announced it had surpassed the major leagues record.  I think it went to nearly 30 innings.

All I remember for sure is that the actual scheduled game seemed to blow right by in comparison.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#19]
My ship provided hotel services for the last of the clean-up crews for the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska.  Riveting!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Was 5 years old and remember the 1989 Loma Prita (sp) earthquake....My mom was making meatloaf....next time she made it I hid under the bed until she was done making it....

John
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I had the privilage of standing on top of the World Trade Center almost exactly one month before 9/11/01. It was while on tour on the 2001 National Boy Scout Jamboree. However, after getting about a whole roll of pictures, my camera accidently popped open ruining all the film.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I was at SARS stock in Toronto, which was supposedly the largest concert in human history. AC/DC blew the rolling stones clear off the stage. It was the talk of Canada the next day.

The Next week I took part in the largest black out in human history. It will most likly go down as being the last time that I will have seen the entire metopolitan Detroit area completly devoid of all power. It was a very quiet and beautiful couple nights. It was hotter than hedes though.

It was a wild two weeks indeed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Desert Shield/ Desert Storm...Was with 3/15 Inf, 24th ID.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Depends on which incarnation of myself you're asking about.  I was Ghengiz Khan in one lifetime, Atilla the Hun in another, Scipio Africanus when I was a Roman, George Washington in the 18th Century.  Little wonder I have split personalities.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I once let a fart of biblical proportions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#26]
NATO 50th Aniversary Summit
Recovery and clean-up operations at the Pentagon after 9/11.
I'm sure there are a couple more that I can't think of right now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
NATO 50th Aniversary Summit
Recovery and clean-up operations at the Pentagon after 9/11.
I'm sure there are a couple more that I can't think of right now.

Another Pentagon recovery and clean-up guy here.  Also worked SAR for Hurricanes Charley, Frances, and Ivan.

E-95
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I was an Air Force medic stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany that cared for the Iranian hostages after their release.

I was the NCOIC of the ONLY stateside Aeromedical Staging Facility taking returning casualties during DS1.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I was an Air Force medic stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany that cared for the Iranian hostages after their release.

I was the NCOIC of the ONLY stateside Aeromedical Staging Facility taking returning casualties during DS1.

That is quite interesting.  Care to share anymore?

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
oh well fuckem if they cant take a joke about 4000 other guys were not a part of this ether how the fuck ya think the helos got there ??? and i delibertly dont spell  check or punctuate cause im lazy

Wasn't that the problem at Desert One. Only six of the requested eight Helos got there?  Oh what kind of Helos were they?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I was there when Nolan Ryan pitched his 5th no-hitter.

I was standing 20 feet from President Reagan as he gave his speech at the 1988 RNC.

You were also at the World Famous Hun Farm gathering of spring 2003.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You were also at the World Famous Hun Farm gathering of spring 2003.

That must have been Gloftoe's other wife... I was in Cozumel.

Or it may have been an earlier date.  Honestly - that was too many brain cells ago.  I think my 4 trips out to the farm have all been fused into one event.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
And your avatar still won't show up for me.

That's odd.  Place your cursor over the red X, right click and choose "show picture."

Anyway, it'll be a treat to see you and your husband again on the next trip.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Palo_Duro,

Is that The Raven in your avatar?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I've nothing to compare to the true HEROS who serve our country.

I am however, the lone actor who created an urban legend at a southern california (near 101/405 freeways) Whole Foods store.     Funny thing is I thought no one knew what happened until I had a friend from California visit and she told me of the story.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've nothing to compare to the true HEROS who serve our country.

I am however, the lone actor who created an urban legend at a southern california (near 101/405 freeways) Whole Foods store.     Funny thing is I thought no one knew what happened until I had a friend from California visit and she told me of the story.

so now I am curious, tell us the story.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Operation Praying Mantis
Operation Ernest Will
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Palo_Duro,

Is that The Raven in your avatar?

An old style Texas flag, Stephen F. Austin and a Longhorn Steer.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
...Stephen F. Austin...

I thought it was Sam Houston.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...Stephen F. Austin...

I thought it was Sam Houston.

It is Sam Houston - too much whiskey tonight.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I was there when the Berlin Wall fell.

I was also in Berlin when the wall came down....my dad was part of the group that helped that event happen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Whew!  I'm still undefeated in my recognition of generic historical paintings.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I exist.  Doesn't count for much though. (sorry, having a bad evening)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is Sam Houston - too much whiskey tonight.  h.gif

Whew!  I'm still undefeated in my recognition of generic historical paintings.  hr

hehe, I got it first(4 posts above yours)Houstonthe raven

pic on the cover is the same as Palo_Duro's avatar...history
HR
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whew!  I'm still undefeated in my recognition of generic historical paintings.  

hehe, I got it first(4 posts above yours).  Sam Houston was known as 'the Raven'.  the raven

pic on the cover is the same as Palo_Duro's avatar...I'm new and all!first post history buff

HR

I should hang my head in shame for not knowing he was called the Raven.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I should hang my head in shame for not knowing he was called the Raven.

Thanks for the info.

Don't worry about it - I didn't know either.  Bet it's made up.    
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Pentagon - 911, and the subsequent rescue and recovery ops.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top