Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2003 3:24:31 AM EDT
Historical revisionism is the enemy for all who try to know the past as a key to understanding the direction of current events.  Fabricating history to make somebody feel good about themselves is dishonest at best.  I think it's fair to say that we have very little truly objective history, because the people who recorded it interpreted it through their own cultural bias, something that is natural and human to do.  Besides, the winners get to write the history books.

Understanding that, we try to gather as much information and distill it to something as close to factual as we can.  Or at least most of us do.  There are others...

Historical revisionism seems to be taking on a life of its own in today's politically correct, culturally hypersensitive environment.  Examples that come to mind are:

- That the Native American Indians lived in peace & harmony until the white man came and screwed things up for them.

- That anything the Europeans had that was good or worthwhile was stolen from black Africans (I am especially impressed by the claim that Beethoven was black).

Let's hear what you have to say about revisionism...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets see:

Jesus was black

The Greeks stole their culture from the Egyptians because they were smarter. (they were black)

Napolion shot the nose of the Sphinx because it had the nose of a black person.

Not trying to be racist, but I was on a role with this one.

All SS are killing monsters.

Columbus came to the Americas to enslave the natives.

The Romans were the most cultured civilization in the world.

I could go on......  I agree few ever take the time to really learn history.  When we do, we usually only take the time (for obvious reasons) to learn about a few (at most) time periods.  

It is no wonder the world is like it is.  If we don't know the real history, how can we learn from it?

Like you said, the winners get to write the books.

Edited because me no spell so good when me tired.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The arguements that there was no holocaust I find the most blatant.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Good one.

Another related to that (on the other side) is that the camps were just for exterminating the Jews.

I was in the AF at Base X and knew this Captain in the Social Actions office.  They were going to have a Holocaust Rememberance Ceremony at the base chapel and he asked me if I could write a bit about it for a pamphlet.  I jumped at the opportunity and started research to make sure I'd have accurate details in it.

What I learned was that about [i]twelve[/i] million people died in the camps, 6 million Jews and the other half were Slavs, homosexuals, political prisoners, etc.  I explained this in my doc and sent it to the Captain.  When I saw the final product he had edited out any mention of non-Jews who were murdered in the camps.  With his delete key he erased the memory of 6 million victims.

I don't know if he was afraid of offending the two guest speakers (Who were Jewish survivors of the camps) or what other motive he might have had.  I was a tad annoyed and to this day I regret not discussing it with him.  

What happened to the Jews under the Nazis was horrible and inhuman.  There's really no debate on that.  But let's also remember the other 6 million victims.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Again, I agree, I have nothing against Jewish people, but it really makes me mad that people try to only include them in what happend.  It's as if the other6 million people lives did not matter.

Sad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lets see:

Jesus was black

View Quote

You mean...he's not?

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=22429&iGalleryUnq=557&iImageUnq=14148[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Another distortion is that only white men contributed to the death of the Bison. That it's always the white man's fault when a black person can't get a job. That we had it coming to us on December 7th, 1941.
John
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Clay-more - LMFAO.  I spit my Dr. Pepper out through my nose when I saw that.

Mr. Clean, I have to say that I know nothing about your last statement. This is not a part of history I know.

Could you please educate me?

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#8]
There are those who would ask you to believe that the US and Rooseveldt had the backs of the Japanese to the wall, and they went after Pearl Harbor to save their nation from destruction. Recently, after examining another mini sub of their's, some Japanese claimed we attacked them first on that date.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
As for the bison, ever hear of a buffalo fall (I think that was the term)?  Before the horse enabled Indians to pursue bison for hunting they would stampede a herd toward a cliff with the animals falling to their deaths.  There's no way that I'd believe that every bit of every buffalo was used and nothin was wasted when we're talking about a significant portion of a herd being killed this way.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As for the bison, ever hear of a buffalo fall (I think that was the term)?  Before the horse enabled Indians to pursue bison for hunting they would stampede a herd toward a cliff with the animals falling to their deaths.  There's no way that I'd believe that every bit of every buffalo was used and nothin was wasted when we're talking about a significant portion of a herd being killed this way.  
View Quote

I remember visiting one of these sites when I was a kid.  They're commonly called "buffalo jumps."  The following link shows photos from the Ulm Pishkun site in MT, where bison were driven over the 120ft cliffs.  I read on one site that young Native American men would indulge in this activity simply to harvest the skin alone, as the robe was a status symbol.

[url]http://www.ustravelphotos.com/Montana/mtrussellcountry6.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top