Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 9:28:35 AM EDT
Known in the south as the "Thunderbolt of the Confederacy."  The northern newspapers referred to him as "The King of the Horsethieves."  Transylvania was where he received his university education.

Who was he and why was he famous?

DaMan  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
John Hunt Morgan. Was known as the "Thunderbolt of the Confederacy" because of his unpredictable and very quick attacks. I believe he was arrested for being a horsetheif???

Not bad for a Yankee, eh? [;)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]
John Hunt Morgan was famous for leading a raid that stretched from Indiana all the way across southern Ohio to West Virginia. It was the longest invasion of the north. Tied up northern troops for weeks. He later escaped from the Ohio State Pennitentiary and made it back to the south to continue serving.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Kudos to D-By-AR and Gun-Fan! I just got done reading "The Longest Raid in the Civil War" by Lester Horwitz. Fascinating!

I thought I posed a tough question!  Guess not the way you guys pounced on it!  [B)]

BUT... my next question will be much more difficult!  [;D]

DaMan
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Too bad he didn't follow orders & stay on the south side of the OHIO river. Might have saved his entire command from being run down & captured.

Shame he got caught by surprise & killed later in the war.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
G&B, before I read this book, I didn't realize the Union Navy had that many riverine ironclads!  

Guess Gen. Morgan didn't either! [:O]

DaMan
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The Union gunboats had problems in their organization.  I believe they fell under command of the Army for a long time.  The Navy & Army had turf wars over the use of the River Fleet.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top