Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 12:22:41 PM EDT
There were several instances where citizens of nations out of the Third Reich who chose to fight for Germany. Are there any actual accounts of Americans volunteering to fight for the Germans?  In the case of the Russian volunteers recruited from the POW camps, they faced certain death when repatriated to the USSR. What would the fate of an Americans be?
John
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several accounts of Americans of German decent being stuck in Germany and serving in the Heer.  Remember the part early on in Band of Brothers. That was supposedly an acctual account of this happening.

There is only one confirmed case of an American in the Waffen SS.  He served in the British FreiKorps.  (British and other commonwelth "volunteers" into the Waffen SS.) Most of the British who were captures were executed or faced life in prison.

I can look up a short bio of him if you would like.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Also Axis Sally was an American who graduated from a college from just north of Columbus Ohio.  I can't think of the name of it right off hand though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also Axis Sally was an American who graduated from a college from just north of Columbus Ohio.  I can't think of the name of it right off hand though.
View Quote

Out of the 12 Americans indicted for treason following World War II, all but five were radio broadcasters -- a fact all of us at WFMU can be proud of. One of the most notorious to be convicted was Mildred Gillars, or "Axis Sally" as she was known to the GI's who heard her Radio Berlin broadcasts.
A graduate of Hunter College in New York, Gillars went to France to study music in 1929 after failing as an actress. By 1934 she was in Germany, where she fell for former Hunter professor Max Otto Koischewitz.

Koischewitz became Radio Berlin's Program Director, and GIllars became his star propaganda broadcaster. Typically, she did a DJ program -- breaking up the music with anti-semetic raps. "Damn Roosevelt! Damn Churchill!", went one of her tirades. "Damn all Jews who made this war possible. I love America, but I do not love Roosevelt and all his kike boyfriends."

"Axis Sally" also liked to air messages from American POWs. Telling the POWs she visited that she was a Red Cross representative, she enticed them to send happy messages to suggest that living under the Nazis, even in POW camps,was a good thing. Once on the air, she would intercut POWs messages with propaganda, despite having promised the prisoners not to do so.

Despite all her other antics, "Axis Sally" was convicted on the basis of just one broadcast, a radio drama called "Vision of Invasion" that - on the eve of D-Day - sought to scare GI's out of invading occupied Europe. In the play, the mother of an Ohio soldier sees her son in a dream. He tells her that he's already dead, his ship having been destroyed mid-invasion by Germans. GI's can be heard sobbing and shrieking in the background, and the effect of the broadcast is said to have been chilling.

Gillars tried several tactics in court, but ultimately claimed, unsuccessfully, that her love for Koischewitz had motivated her. Her lawyers argued that Koischewitz had a Svengali-like grip over her ; she was his puppet.

- Rob Weisberg.
[url]http://www.wfmu.org/LCD/GreatDJ/AxisSal.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I followed your Link back and found a Hilarious Dee Jay that went by the Call Sign- Dave Rabbit.
He is funny!   They should’ve made a Movie about him and Not the Other Guy.

Still would’ve been Rated R
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The german phrase for it escapes me, but in the 30s Hitler did issue a call for the Return of 'all good ethnic Germans' to return to the Fatherland.

Band of Brothers did dramatize it a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top