Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2002 8:58:40 PM EDT
This was basically a TX National Guard unit.

What did they use for treatment of trench foot during the battle for the Vosges?

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Trench foot is treated by warming and drying the foot and applying antifungals. In sever cases oral or IV antifungals and antibiotics are used. It has to heal fully before the troop can be sent back out. It can be more painful and  debilitating than a GSW or shrapnel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Trench foot is treated by warming and drying the foot and applying antifungals. In sever cases oral or IV antifungals and antibiotics are used. It has to heal fully before the troop can be sent back out. It can be more painful and  debilitating than a GSW or shrapnel.
View Quote

The battle in the Vosges was in WW2 though, diddnt have amphotericinB or Fluconazole back then.

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Nor in WW I when the malady was first identified. Treatment was drying of the feet punctuated with warm salt baths and foot powder. They would debride dead tissue as necessary. Ouch.

I saw a case at NTC in 1990. Some stupid NG from the 48th Inf BDE put plastic bread bags on his feet to keep them warm. What an ass.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
A mix of bleach and water was sometime used.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Lost Battalions,  Franz Steidl,  Presido Press, 1997©  pg 125

Maj Glenn Rathbun 3rd Battalion, 141 Regiment ?, 36th Inf Div.; about action in Vosges region of France, 1944.

““We didn’t have too many problems with trench foot,” Rathbun recalls. [b]“My boys knew to massage their feet with [red]Barbasol[/red]-shaving cream from a tube. It did the trick for most of us.””[/b]

Now I wonder who figured this out first??
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
heh, makes you wonder what they were doing with that shaving cream?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
With the fame and disaster this division went through that is an interesting question.

While I do not have a clue to the answer to your question, the division became famous as its officers launched a congresional investigation into the disasterous attempt to cross the Po river in Northern Italy.  It was tried at night in flood against the well entrenched Germans (incuding the volunteer 161st division that was Turkish)

Many medals we given to the Amercians that made it across the river before haveing to fall back.
In the end, the Americans were masacred, the congresional investigation found nothing as top division commanders had some pull in congress.

Years later German army documents on the battle report the Germans claim nothing more than light opposition from across the river..........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top