Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 8:17:22 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what US Army units overran Cologne in March 1945?  My great uncle was an infantry medic that was wounded there while trying to rescue a wounded trooper.  

No one in the family can recall what unit he was in all they said was he was in many of the campaigns in Europe until March 45.    My great uncle also told me he was at Omaha Beach where he said he ran out of medical supplies with 10 minutes.  He told me a bunch of war stories and showed me his scrapbook but it was so many years ago and I wasn't that savvy about SSI and stuff like that when I was a kid and my great uncle died in 1998.

If any of you know at least what divisions ran through the town in that time frame it would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Two minute google search. "Battle of cologne 1945"

http://home.earthlink.net/~crcorbin/Cologne.html
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:04:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, never did see that page.  I guess the next step would be to do a request with NARA and get his service record.  Hopefully his file didn't go up in smoke in 1973 when they had that big fire at the St. Louis warehouse.  The family always said he landed at Omaha beach on D-Day and the 3rd Armored was nowhere near Omaha beach on 6 June.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't help you there buy, my Grandfather told stories of being harassed by a sniper in Cologne and I still have his appropriated German Bino's from that time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top