Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2002 12:21:41 PM EDT
Is there a law on how many guns you can own, and/or how many you can buy a year?

Thanks
Josh
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not in Texas
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Not in Oregon, YET!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The only law that I know of pertaining to the allowable quanities of anything firearm related is for black powder as it is an explosive. So buy up!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
In the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia you can only buy 12 handguns a year.  One a month.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in FL, you can buy and own as many handguns, shotguns, and rifles as you can afford.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, [b]the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.[/b]

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
As many as I can sneak into the house by my wife !
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you guys believe it? One pistol permit required per pistol in NC. This means that you have to get another permit every pistol you transfer. No exceptions. Plus, you can only get 5 permits per year in many areas. That's even worse than CA. You wouldn't think North Carolina would be so anti-gun and unconstitutional would you?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Not in michigan either
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#10]
No limit in Tennessee.

No limit on what you carry with a CCW either.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no legal limit at the Federal Level. But, there is a virtual limit of 1 handgun per week. Because, if you buy more than 1 per week you get reported to the Bureau of Arson, Tall Tales, and Fire Bombing. This is how they supposedly track Gunrunners. So, if you buy more than 1 handgun per week your file is flagged in their computers as a potential gun runner/terrorist.

In reality, there is no limit on what you can buy privately as the ATF will never know. But, if you are buying alot of guns in a short period from dealers, you will be flagged in the files the FBI/ATF isn't supposed to be keeping.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#12]
one of my problems with the michigan CCW law is you can only carry ONE firearm at a time, and it's a concealed PISTOLS license.  wasn't THAT sneaky?  i heard that i  other states(not sure which), you can get a concealed WEAPONS license.  what the hell does that mean?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
No federal laws on how many weapons you can own.  State laws may vary ("one gun a month" laws, NC's permit system have already been mentioned--there are others.)

Keep in mind though, if you ever get into ANY kind of trouble (or even if you're not in trouble but something in done to draw attention to you--illness requiring a visit from emergency services, for example) much will be made about your "arsenal" by people who don't understand why someone would want to own a single gun, much less dozens or hundreds.

Sucks, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I should warn you though...there was a case many years ago where the ATF royally screwed over a guy who owned a couple hundred guns. They charged him with being an unlisenced dealer when he sold a few of his personal collection.

He was found "NOT GUILTY" in trial. The ATF refused to return his guns and filed to permanently seize his firearms becuase he violated a provision of the GCA (which he was found Not Guilty of). The guy responded by saying that he was found not guilty and that would be Double Jeopardy. But, alas some idiot Federal Judge decided that in fact forfeiture was a Civil Penalty and was held to a lower evidentiary standard totally seperate from the Criminal Penalties. Therefore, the ATF could keep his guns even though he was found not guilty.

[Edited to add]

I cannot find the cite. But, I did find several others. This appears to have been somewhat cleared up by the FOPA of 86. But, the ATF might still try to cause trouble. They ahve screwed people before.

Interestingly, I found out the ATF raided the NRA museum years ago and seized 7 "Unregistered NFA Guns".

Here is the corker. In 1968 the Police seized 12 guns from a guy. He finally got them back in 1997, 29 years after they were seized.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#15]
There is no law in NC on how many handguns you can purchase in a year or how many permits you can get in a year.  The deal is you can only get 5 pistol permits at a time when filling out the permit form.  The very next day you could fill out another form and get 5 more permits.  I've actually done this myself.  And no, NC is not worse than Kalifornia and I take offense to that :^)
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#16]
It all depends on how high your credit limits are.  Except in some commie states, then you are limited to buying one gun a month.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#17]
in Arizona, it is called a Concealed Weapons Permit, My understanding is with this permit, and the weapon legal, you can conceal it. As far as I know, they make no distinction between guns and other weapons.

eagle1911
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#18]
In Texas, it's a Concealed Handgun License (CHL), and does NOT permit the bearer to carry any other weapon (illegal weapons cited in section 43 of the Texas penal code, including dirks, daggers, bowie knives, clubs, butterfly knives, switchblades, etc...)  

Kinda limits the use of force continuum, huh?  Oh, and I can carry as MANY handguns as I want/can conceal.  But no switchblades...
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#19]
If you buy more than one handgun at a time your FFL dealer will have you fill out a BATF multiple gun purchase form in addition to 4473. This is a seperate form which goes straight to the BATF and is as stated so the BATF can keep up w/ multiple gun purchases.
(To prevent guys buying 15-20 of the same weapons then driving across state lines and sellin 'em outta the trunk of their car, with no FFL license, this has been done)

Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Just for you information...

In California you CAN purchase more than 1 handgun a month...

From CA DOJ website, FAQ's

6. Is there a limit on the number of handguns that I can own or purchase?

While no limitation exists for the number of handguns that you may own, you are generally limited to purchasing no more than one handgun in any 30-day period.Ê

Handgun transactions related to law enforcement, private party transfers, returns to owners, and certain other specific circumstances are exempt from the one-handgun-per-30-day limit.Ê

(PC section 12072(a)(9))Ê

Same with rifles/shotguns (actually there's no limit on these, new or private transfer).
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
As many as I can sneak into the house by my wife !

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin.

Standard question "Why do you need to buy another gun?"

Standard answer "Because I don't have that one yet."
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#23]
How many guns can you own??

How much money do you have?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#24]
In Alabama, you are limited to the number of flowers you can carry while walking in the house with said new weapons. I looked on my carry license and it does refer to pistols. It also says it is not a license to carry openly. However, per the instructor at the Montgomery PD handgun course there is absolutely no prohibition on that anyway. I asked that question specifically when I went through the course. (this a an entirely optional course and not required for permit). when you complete the course you receive an identification card allowing you to purchase from LEO suppliers, any item not prohibited to you. Example police grade pepper sprays. You also get a nifty window sticker to warn thugs you have been through the course. They even let you play with the FATS trainer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#25]
On the open carry, it is my understanding that the Alabama Supreme Court ruled many years ago that the state cannot regulate open carry since the "right to bear arms". They said this didn't apply to concealed carry as long as open carry was allowed. Basically, it was one or the other. The state of AL is allowed to regulate one, but not the other. So, if they chose to regulate open carry, they'd have to allow  concealed carry w/o a lisence.

I looked it up, when I moved to Pensacola last year and there is no law prohibiting open carry. So, whenever I went to Robertsdale I'd strap a .38 to my hip. Unfortunately, I have since sold my only handgun and carrying a rifle (though, probably legal) might get me some unwelcome attention. The only strange thing about AL law is that I can carry a .38 on my hip down the street on foot. But, if I am in my car it has to be unloaded and not immediately accessible. So, they trust me to carry a *loaded* handgun down the street, but not in my truck. Rifles and shotguns simply have to be unloaded. I haven't looked up the AL defintion of "loaded". But, until I get the chance to look it up I remove the mag. from my rifle when I cross the state line. Nicest thing is I never get any flack about guns in Alabama or NW Florida. Try strapping a revolver to your hip in South Florida (assuming it was legal, which it isn't) and you'd be arrested within seconds after the first soccer mom you see calls the police screaming "man with a gun."

Quoted:
In Alabama, you are limited to the number of flowers you can carry while walking in the house with said new weapons. I looked on my carry license and it does refer to pistols. It also says it is not a license to carry openly. However, per the instructor at the Montgomery PD handgun course there is absolutely no prohibition on that anyway. I asked that question specifically when I went through the course. (this a an entirely optional course and not required for permit). when you complete the course you receive an identification card allowing you to purchase from LEO suppliers, any item not prohibited to you. Example police grade pepper sprays. You also get a nifty window sticker to warn thugs you have been through the course. They even let you play with the FATS trainer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Remember the one who owns the most in the end WINS .... Bluemax
        its not a hobby its a sickness
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top