Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2002 9:11:20 AM EDT
Ok heres the deal, I was helping a friend of mine find the car that he wanted.  I located the vehicle using Autotrader.com, contacted the seller and acted as the middle man throughout the process.  Long story short we live in NY and had the car shipped from WA to KY.  We received the receipt but did not receive a title.  The car has made it to KY but we do not have a title for it.  I have been trying to contact the seller for a month now and today have found out that his number is disconnected.  I need to find this guy and was wondering if anyone on this board could help me out.  I did have him send me a photo copy of his liscense before any money exchanged hands.  If anyone can help me please email me at [email protected]  Thank you to anyone that can help me out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Since this has crossed state lines don't you have to go to the Feds ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#2]
this might constitute mail fraud if some of the transaction took place thru the mails. if so, the post office may be interested in your situation. also, it being interstate may up the ante.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Start with your local PD for referral to an appropriate agency. US Customs might know, or even deal with such interstate crimes itself. Given the amount involved, this is definitely a felony, possibly falling within Federal jurisdiction, since it's an interstate commerce-related theft.

Also, check the seller's ID with state from which it was issued (serial #). The seller [i]could[/i] have used a bogus ID. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Break out the oven mits... I'll bet this car is too HOT to touch!

In any case, good luck to you KlingtonHtr.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact the FBI.  They have jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the responses gentlemen, I am hoping that this is all just a misunderstanding, he is just a 20 yr old punk, lol.  I guess I was looking for someone that could run a vin #, license # etc. so that I could collect some info before I went to the feds etc.  The one thing that Im worried about is that there might be a lien left on the car and thats why he didn't send the title.  If anyone could run this info for me or know who could.  Who knows maybe the DMV will do it, but I doubt it. NYS DMV pretty much sucks ass.. Thanks again,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Find him quick. You can run the VIN through carfax. Email the VIN number to me at [email protected]. I'm not sure if my carfax account is still active, but if it is, I'll run the VIN for you. If he's a 20 year old with a $14K car, he probably has a loan. He has the money and the car has been shipped so he's probably dragging his feet on what he considers to be "paperwork nonsense". Find him before he spends the money and can't pay off the loan.
-Randy
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
i have an active carfax account...
send me the vin# and i'll run it for you.
best of luck!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
But, did you get a good deal on the car?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
In most states, there are ways to have liens placed on cars for various reasons. Mechanics do it for unpaid bills, others do it when cars are not picked up after being towed or left parked somewhere.

I would bet that there is a way to file legal paperwork and to start accruing storage charges for this vehicle. After some proscribed period of time, you can hold a lien sale (often certain notifications are required) and sell the car to yourself for the outstanding lien charges.

You do have the added complication of having a car from another state, and I have no idea what your state laws are, so your best bet would be to spend a little money and talk to an attorney about your options.

Do not waste any more time before checking out your legal options as time needs to be working for you during the lien period.

Ray
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top