Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2002 11:58:52 AM EDT
Would removing the Gas Block, Gas Tube, and Gas Piston from an FAL Barrel, then plugging the Gas Port on the Receiver make it legally not a semi-automatic for purposes of 922(v).

I am considering getting my FAL kit, receiver, etc...and building it originally as a single shot pistol. Then, later on making it into a 922(r) and (v) compliant Semi-Automatic Rifle by replacing the Gas Block, Tube, and Piston, Unplugging the Gas Port on the Receiver, replacing 6 parts with US Parts, removing the threads, Flash Hider, and Bayonet Lug, and  placing a stock on it.

But, as I understand it, I could return it to Pistol configuration at any time as long as I made it into a 922(v) complaint config. such as making it a single shot.

One thing I might consider is getting an extra barrel and cutting it behind the gas block, so that it cannot be returned to semi-automatic without replacing the barrel and Gas Assembly. Then, when I want to return it to Rifle config. I simply replace the Barrel/Gas Assembly and reinstall the stock. To convert it back to a pistol, I would remove the Barrel/Gas Assembly and replace it with the short barrel (w/o a Gas Block).

Is plugging the Gas Port Necessary. Or, should I simply get a 2nd receiver and pin and weld a plug in the gas port. I would figure that if it cannot cycle w/o replacing parts that it should be OK. But, I want to throw this around and see what others may think about the issue.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that would be a rather heavy pistol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
i can just imagine the tremendus muzzle blast from that [:D]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Great, now you've given me ideas :D

Actually I've seen a fal pistol before.  I believe it was a Class III's dealer and prolly post 86.  Anywho, I'll try to find the pictures, but the few pictures were bad, but you can tell it was a fal.

With the cocking handle on the side of the reciever, a fal pistol converted to manual operation would be easy to cock.

Hmmm, I should look into this....

-Sam
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a fella doing FAL-"AOW's",,[email][email protected][/email]///[url]www.gulfcoastarmory.com[/url] has had a pic posted on subguns.com of the AOW along with a gal firing it. Contact Keith. Ad says 2 left.
[img]http://www.gulfcoastarmory.com/temp/fal-aow02-sm.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.gulfcoastarmory.com/pix/minifal_sm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I was considering. The lower right hand one is what it would look like under the short handgaurds. The handgaurds would have to probably be pinned on differently due to the absence of a Gas Block.

[img]http://noreno.no-ip.com:800/fal_big.png[/img]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to have build one of these now [:D]

I was trying to figure out what to do about the handguards as well.  I'd have to get a fal kit and see just how they attatch.

Only thing is, on the bolt I see what looks like a buffer rod that I'm thinking goes into the stock in some sort of well.  Could this be removed without adversly effecting the operation of the gun?

I'm not too worried about recoil  [;)]

-Sam
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Para FALs use a true folding stock.

So, the Para Bolt Carrier and Lower should do the trick for a stockless gun. Normally, there is a small recoil tube much like an AR-15, but smaller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top