Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 2:42:38 PM EDT
My friend was traveling from VA to CA with a 2004 Dodge Durango pulling a 23ft Outback Travel trailer hooked up via a spring hitch. In AZ the trailer and the Durango rolled totaling both. In the process 2 of her 4 dogs, which were in the trailer, escaped. One was found dead a few days later after it was hit by a car and the other is still at large. The accident has been deemed not her fault and was not issued any tickets, etc. The trailer hitch broke between ball and receiver. Its not known if that was the cause of the accident. She had only purchased the trailer a month before hand. At the time of the accident she was traveling about 60 MPH.

The insurance company, progressive, is only wanting to compensate her for the loss of the vehicle and the 2 lost dogs. However, they are leaving the trailer out of the equation which is a loss of about $17 grand. I have told her she needs to seek the option of legal council in the least and told her not to sign anything from the insurer for the time being.

I'm posting this on her behalf. What other advice can you offer?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
She needs to read her policy and find out if the trailer was covered or not.

I have a horse trailer and checked with my insurance company (Nationwide) and on my policy that the trailer was covered before I brought it home.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The written terms of the policy are determinative.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The written terms of the policy are determinative.

If there is ANY ambiguity in the written terms it goes in her favor.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but those are fairly rare in insurance policies these days.  And its hard for an ambiguity to include a trailer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
sad to hear about the animals, but should of never been in the trailer, still could of died in the vehicle but alot safer in the vehicle. if I spent that much money on a trailer I would of checked with the insurance co, even for a temp cover while hauling it around
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I had to add my popup camper to my auto policy when I bought it this year.  It costs $20/ year and is worth it.  I doubt that her insurance company will cover it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had to add my popup camper to my auto policy when I bought it this year.  It costs $20/ year and is worth it.  I doubt that her insurance company will cover it.

Many policies have a time limit to add new items.

If you are within the time it should be covered.

Quoted:
Yes, but those are fairly rare in insurance policies these days.  And its hard for an ambiguity to include a trailer.

They are still out there, but often the value at dispute is not worth pursuing legal action.

They have salaried attorneys.

You have to pay yours.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have my trailer listed on my policy...

Valued at 12k, $58 every 6 months

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
That really sucks.  Insurance companies want to screw you over, and you always have to go through at least a few rounds of arguing and escalating before they get reasonable.

A few years ago, a man in my state rolled and lost a dog in the middle of nowhere.  He went back looking for almost a YEAR before he found the dog.  At that point, the dog had pretty much turned feral.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top