Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 6:35:48 PM EDT
I own an A1 parts gun that I built on an Essential Arms lower in 1986. Now I am not terribly fond of the EA lower for two reasons. First the raised fence is kinda cheesy and second the very light gray never matched any upper I ever could find for it so it was always a 2-tone gun. Now It resides back how with my father. Somewhat recently he loaned it to a friend of the family. This friend, while riding a three wheeler across the desert and got into an accident with the rifle strapped across his back. In the course of the accident the left side of the magazine well was broken out of the lower. Bright boy that he was retrieved the broken piece and brought it all home to my father. Now in the maze that is my father’s shop the broken out piece (which has the serial number on it) has become misplaced. So my question is… Can I legally repair the receiver with out the piece containing the serial number and use it to build another rifle with preban features? AND YES, I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL UPPER AND ALL THE REST OF THE PARTS!!

IPSC_GUY (trying to stay legal) sends

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
From the BATF FAQ (found at [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm[/url])

(O7) Are replacement parts for grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices subject to regulation under the law? [Back]

No. Parts may be replaced in grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapons and grandfathered feeding devices without violating the law. However, if the frame or a receiver for a semiautomatic assault weapon is defective, the replacement must be made by the weapon's manufacturer or importer. The replacement receiver must be marked with the same serial number as the original receiver, and the original receiver must be destroyed. However, a manufacturer or importer who is unable to mark the replacement receiver with the same serial number as the original receiver may seek a marking variance in accordance with 27 CFR 178.92. In addition, the permanent records of the manufacturer or importer should indicate that the receiver for the weapon has been replaced.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say no, but you should be asking the  BATF, not us.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:00:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I think its time to clean up your father's shop, and then fire up the welding set.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Kharn.  That piece has to be somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Isn't Essential Arms out of business? If so the original manufacturer will not be able to replace it so it sounds like you are screwed, if I am reading the passage correctly.

[beer]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.intermountain.net/images/bFISH.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.intermountain.net/images/bFISHswim.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
this story is way too fishy. i can't imagine a receiver breaking in this fashion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I like how the serial number part was lost. [;)]

This kind of damage to the rifle that was strapped to the mans back, but yet, no word on the condition of the driver. He would have most likely been hurt.

[:k]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:53:17 AM EDT
[#10]
The rifle had a full 30 round magazine inserted at the time of the accident and the magazine broke the left side of the mag well out when the driver flipped his 3 wheeler. Even a forged lower would have snapped. Yes the driver was injured, three weeks sick leave afterward. Anyway he at least had the presence of mind to pick up the broken piece after getting up. The broken piece was put into an envelope to be rewelded onto the lower and my father misplaced the envelop. If you saw my fathers shop you would understand. While I only have 4 gun projects (3 Galils and Remington 700) going at the moment he has dozens. So My whole thought process was that since EVERY E.A. Lower is manufactured before the Ban and I my self built the rifle so I was wondering If I could get it fixed and use it again if the missing piece isn't found soon. I would like to get this thing back together and sell it to one of my buddies who wants a M4gery so bad his teeth hurt. However he is now pending orders to California so priority are about to shift to accurate bolt guns. As such this all my become a very back burner project. I have contacted DPMS believing wrongly that they bought Essential Arms. As Troy said they only bought the tooling and could not replace the receiver. They will do the repair once I have all the pieces accounted for and even refinish it all for a nominal fee. So that is the story of why I have a broken pre ban sitting around collecting dust.

IPSC_GUY sends
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top