Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2002 10:47:10 PM EDT
Do you have to permanently attach a muzzle brake for the upper to be post-ban legal?  If so, how hard is it to do that?  Thanks

- Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to break your muzzle?  If you don't like it, you can saw it off.  As long as you break your muzzle at a point so that the barrel is still at least 16" long, it should still be legal.z
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sulaco, same thing happened to me and my first post.  It's "brake" not "break."

Now, as to your question.  You can't have a threaded barrel that will support a Flash Suppressor, so;

1)  You have your brake Pinned and welded "permanently" on or;

2) you can use set screw on a crowned (no threads) muzzle or;

3) you use a thread that a flash suppressor cannot be used with.  I forget which company does this, but it's out there.

As far as how hard it is to do?  Have a qualified gunsmith pin and weld the brake on (if you go that route).  If you screw up the muzzle you'll make the rifle very inaccurate.

editd to add:  If your barrel is less than 16 inches long, then Yes, it must be permanantly affixed (pinned and welded) so that your barrel is at least 16 inches long.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to install a Muzzle Brake the best way (ATF Legal) is to use 56% silver solder paste.  Apply it to the threads, index the muzzle brake on the barrel, use MAPP Gas torch to bring to a dull red glow and allow the solder to melt.  I've done this with 3 different FAL's and it works great.  
http://sra-solder.com

Parts number: STL-1205-655, Brazing Paste.

Hope this helps out.

Aif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top