Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2002 7:10:33 PM EDT
1st) can a converted or factory full-auto (selective fire) AR (for example), that was NOT formerly registered as a machine gun, be registered now ? And if it can, how ?
2nd) if that weapon cannot, in any way, be registered as a legally transferable full-auto weapon, can it be sold w/o any full-auto sear/trigger mechanism as a semi-auto and as a legitimate pre-ban...which it verifiably is ?
This query is hypothetical in nature at this time but I am treading very softly anyway till I find solid legal ground. Can anyone assist ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
1.) No.

2.) No, unless the conversion was by some method that did not involve drilling the receiver for an autosear.  If its milled and drilled for an autosear, it cannot revert to semiauto status.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
sparkyCG,

A factory-built machinegun is not a verifiable 922(v)(2) exempt 921(a)(30) assault weapon because it has always been a machine gun, never a semi-automatic assault weapon.  Once a semi-automatic weapon is converted into a machinegun, it too can't ever be a verifiable 922(v)(2) exempt 921(a)(30) assault weapon because it has been a machine gun, and once a machine gun, always a machine gun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Gentlemen, I bow before your knowlege...sincerely. Where could I go (on the www, preferably, to read more, in plain English?
Also, much future thanks for I fear I don't know enough to ask what I don't know.      Stay safe  
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate the fact that you seem to be trying to follow the law, and are being honest to ask for REAL, legal info. As a rule, we usually do not discuss "conversions" and such on this website. I suggest that for your own safety, you should contact the BATF on such matters. I personally would never trust anyone else's "info" when it comes to these matters.

Hope this helps! [:)][url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/[/url]

Tyler
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Gentlemen, again I thank you. That's what I was looking for.   Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
2.) No, unless the conversion was by some method that did not involve drilling the receiver for an autosear.  If its milled and drilled for an autosear, it cannot revert to semiauto status.
View Quote

Anyone have a picture of what a drilled receiver looks like?  I'm assuming the hole left when a Colt sear block is removed, is not considered drilled for a sear?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top