Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 9:38:58 PM EDT
So, how do the folks here at AR15.com feel about Mr Stewart and his recent loss in court?
[I will assume folks know about this whole story; otherwise I'll leave some links.]

youngun
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You should leave some links. From what I've gathered it means if you are a felon you shouldn't have machineguns (5 Stens) lying around the house. I heard whether his Maadi-Griffins were kits or complete rifles weren't an issue in the trial.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the whole story? Last I heard a few months back a judge reinstated his gun rights retroactive to before his Maadi-Griffin kit sales woes. This left the BATF in a awkward position, and their case in question as to whether they could continue with it. Have you heard something else?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, he is sitting in jail as we speak, waiting for his sentence. The judge wouldn't let him post bail.
Here's the link:
[url=www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=2218]Robert Smith[/url]

It looks pretty bad to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I an not a lawyer, and I do not have enough info on the case (unbiased info) to make a call on the case. The one thing I do disagree with is keeping him in jail awaiting appeal and sentencing. He has always cooperated and is not a foight risk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Could be a ploy by the Judge toget him a longer sentence... Make him out to be a bad guy to the jury.  imho
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#6]
It could be that Smith, a felon convicted as a result of his own guilty plea, was just too stupid to stay out of trouble.  He evidently also had an ineffective or downright stupid defense attorney.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#7]
IF this article is true in its entirety, which I seriously doubt, then most likely it will be remanded back to Silver for a retrial to allow the evidence of coercion and such.  The judge clearly overstepped her bounds (if the article is true) and as a result, the case will be reheard.  It also sounds like this jackass wanted to be a martyr in court, he begged for a conviction.  I have no sympathy for stupidity.  

As far as the judge's instructions go...the writer of that article has no clue as to how instructions work in a court room.  As a result of his ignorance and complete lack of refrain from spouting that ignorance, I take the article with a grain of salt.  

I especially love the part where the writer believes that a finding of guilt somehow lies in part on what a sentencing will do to his family!  What a load of horse shit.  Read the case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Poor Bob screwed himself- the facts are clear, he was a felon and had guns in his home.  Duh!

What's *more* interesting is that many gun owners will believe what they want to, including that he was framed.  Such self-delusion isn't going to help our cause.

Look here for more info:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=89231[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top