Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 4:30:35 AM EDT
All,

Tried this one in the build-it forum with little response.  Maybe it belongs here.  

Removing the threads on the end of a pre ban barrel where the flash suppressor attached. By removing I mean turning the diameter down to the thread root diameter (Ending diam .45" - .47").

Does this convert the barrel from pre ban to a post ban with the lug removed also?

Thanks,
FB
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  If you have a 16.1" barrel that is one option.  You could also remove the bayonet lug and have Kurt's Kustom Firearms, Wilson, Bushmaster, Cav Arms etc. permanently install an ATF approved post-ban compensator.

If you're converting a pre-ban 20" barrel you could have the threads "cut off" the barrel simply by taking off the first half inch of the barrel.  You would have to have your barrel re-crowned after doing that.

Is your barrel chrome moly or chrome lined?

A chrome lined barrel would probably do better by having the threads turned off as you described.

A chrome moly barrel would give you some other options.

P.S. I once converted an old FN A2 chrome lined barrel by chopping and re-crowning.  I then added one of those whacky set screw Smith compensators.  It shot 5 moa and chewed up a lot of Wolf, so hey?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Schnert!

That's the type of information I was looking for.

Yes is is a 20" and chrome lined.  I'm not a purest as far as looks are concerned but I do want one that will shoot good and straight.  I've arleady removed the lug / lugg (what ever!) just wondering on the threads.  If this didn't pan out they would make great tent pegs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top