Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 4:31:13 AM EDT
I want to publish emails between the mayor of the city in which I live and myself.  To my knowledge, there is no personal information other than his contact phone numbers which I plan on removing.

The discussion is only between the mayor and myself regarding a request for an inquiry or investigation of wrong doing of the chief of police who is my former employer.

I would like to post the emails in our local newspaper's online forum and would like to know if there can be any legal repercussions from doing so.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I reckon this means that no one knows about this sort of thing?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I started to reply to this at one point, then realized that you're in LA and I am familiar with the laws in VA for this type of thing.  I'll still give you my experience and let you draw your own conclusions.

Years ago I was a political appointee to a local county commission.  I won't bore you with the details, but at one point I was hit with a FOIA request for my personal email account regarding all commission-related correnspondence between myself and the other eight commission members.  I had to turn over copies of all emails unless they were related to 1) personnel issues (none were) or 2) privileged/confidential correspondence between the commission and the county attorney (again, not applicable).  So, I turned everything over.

So, my advice as a non-attorney for you would be to look at the content of these emails in the context of the FOIA law in your state.  While you as an individual are not subject to it, the mayor certainly is.  If the content is releaseable under FOIA then there shouldn't be any issue with you publishing them.

Again, IANA lawyer, and this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for your response.  It certainly points in the right direction for further clarification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top