Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 11:59:02 AM EDT
I want to make one of my preban uppers a post ban, it has a birdcage style  whatever. Does anyone know if this is considered a flash hider or a muzzle brake?? I can post a link to a pic if it's needed,  i just don't wan't to weld it on , then find out i have to change it. It's total length is 1 5/8" and it has 6 slots-7/8"long, 3/16" wide. can someone help me?  thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
A pic link would help, but you most likely have a flash suppressor.

Unless the front is closed (except for a small hole only slightly larger than bore diameter), it's a flash suppressor.

Unless the outer diameter is larger or smaller than the 22mm NATO standard, it's considered a grenade launcher.

A post-ban legal 'lookalike' brake or compensator must have both the closed front of a brake, and the non-22mm outer diameter.  Ideally, you'd like for it to have been submitted to ATF for flash suppressor testing, and have a ruling that it is considered neither a flash suppressor or grenade launcher.  The only AR 'lookalike' brake that has actually been submitted to and approved by ATF is the Wilson Combat.  

The Cav-Comp, Gunsmoke and Kurt's Kustom 'lookalike' brakes do meet the closed front and outer diameter criteria, but have not been submitted or approved in writing to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone think i could fill in the front with JB weld, then drill a hole in it?? would it hold up??
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
JB-weld?  Not a chance.  JB-weld would blow out on your first magazine, if not your first round.

Filling in the front doesn't address the outer diameter issue, either.

Welding a steel washer to the front of the flash suppressor would probably work (and has been done before).  Use a washer that's wider than the front of the flash suppressor, and that would make it not a grenade launcher, as well.  Whether it would still reduce flash or not, you'd have to test for yourself.

And, of course, any post-ban device must be permanently attached (welding or silver solder) to cover the muzzle threads in order for the upper to be post-ban legal.

Don't forget to grind off the bayonet lug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top