Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 6:07:06 PM EDT
Does anyone have the exact text of the '94 Cook County "assault weapon" ban?  From what I understand, it was xeroxed from something else and passed under a gag order to keep it from being protested.  I am curious as to the actual wording, legal effect, and so on.

I've been able to find a lot of mention of and reference to it, but never the -actual- text.  The CC Clerk's website is useless, as it seems that people aren't supposed to know what regulations are being passed on their behalf...

Thanks for any info.  "Secret" laws intrigue me.

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It wasn't 94, it was 89 I think.
Your guess, is as good as mine.

I heard colts are the only ones banned, by name, branding.  
Remmeber the Mak-90 case in Streamwood 2 months ago?
No assualt weapons charges.
Lots of cook county FFL's sell AR's and such.  
Lots around here own them too.

c-rock
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It wasn't 94, it was 89 I think.
Your guess, is as good as mine.

I heard colts are the only ones banned, by name, branding.  
Remmeber the Mak-90 case in Streamwood 2 months ago?
No assualt weapons charges.
Lots of cook county FFL's sell AR's and such.  
Lots around here own them too.

c-rock
View Quote

I was curious if it was "named" weapons or not.  Without having the actual text of it, it's hard to be sure.  Some dealers in Cook and DuPage I've talked to claim they're all banned, but no one can come up with the actual law/ord defining it.  Makes me wonder if it's overcautiousness or what.  

I find it funny that county and municipal lawmaking bodies make it so hard to actually find the laws they've made.  I guess I could drive up to a library around there and start digging.

Link Posted: 2/11/2002 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone found anything more definitive about Cook County assault weapon laws?  I spoke to one dealer(Midwest Guns in Lyons) that said AR15's are illegal in Cook Co., but I'm also having a hard time finding anything concrete.  If nothing else, My fiancee lives 3 blocks from a Cook Co. courthouse, I might just have to spend a Saturday afternoon in their library digging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top