Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2002 4:26:10 PM EDT
Is concealed carry legal on North Carolina college campus?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I might be wrong, and I am sure some one will correct me, but I think that there is some dumb federal law about carrying concealed on a college campus or dorm.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Please visit www.packing.org for initial inquiries about CCW matters.

NC has a website with official text for CCW.  It can be found at www.packing.org.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is concealed carry legal on North Carolina college campus?
View Quote

No.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
from what i recall they consider it the same as federal buildings,hospitals, and schools.
Which college you trying to pack heat at? I'm just outside of Charlotte. Shoot me an e-mail if you want to go to the range.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
from what i recall they consider it the same as federal buildings,hospitals, and schools.
Which college you trying to pack heat at? I'm just outside of Charlotte. Shoot me an e-mail if you want to go to the range.
View Quote

The discussion came up with some friends about ccw, and someone asked about on campus carry. I, personally am not considering packing because i am not old enough. I do feel safe on campus. I go to a small college 30 miles outside of Asheville, called Brevard College.
thanks for the info guys
thumper, i'll email you if i can find time to go to the range. unfortunately i left all the good "stuff" in florida at home. i did bring my FN FAL L1A1 and leave it at a friends house 2 miles from the college for range time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I might be wrong, and I am sure some one will correct me, but I think that there is some dumb federal law about carrying concealed on a college campus or dorm.  
View Quote

Generally applies only to elementary, middle, and high schools. The federal law you're referring to lets states define what "school" means for the purposes of this law.

I know in VA it is technically legal to carry at a private college if they don't prohibit it as a private property owner (otherwise your CHL is invalid under 18.2-308 (0) ), and it is always legal to carry at public ones UNLESS it is one of the ones that VA has a statute for (U of Richmond I think???).

I am prohibited from having firearms on campus at W&M, but it's only a college rule (not law). Ironically, someone who is NOT a student could carry here. Same deal at my undergrad school in PA. A guy on this board from VA Tech talked to his school's general counsel and was told it is legal, but a school violation for students while on campus.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Since the Community Colleges in NC are State Schools, and therefore State property, I'd say NO.  We're still debating whether having the weapon in your car, in their parking lot, is even permited.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]
No.
Keyword: Educational properties

[url]http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/firearms.htm#areas[/url]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
This is a private college. In the student handbook it does say no firearms, ammunition, explosives, etc....
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is a private college. In the student handbook it does say no firearms, ammunition, explosives, etc....
View Quote

Then you have two possible problems I can think of. One is that a NC CCW may not be valid on private property that bans firearms. You need to check on that. Second is that you are technically committing trespass if you carry there (by violating a condition of the permission you have to be on the property).
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your prosecution would depend on what interpretation the DA wants to put on "educational property" and a "school";

"North Carolina General Statute § 14-269.2 provides that it is a Class I felony for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind, on educational property or to a curricular or extra-curricular activity sponsored by a school."
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The Gun Free Schoolzones Act was overturned by the Supreme Court (SCOTUS) in US vs. Lopez. SCOTUS rules that a school does not have a major effect on Interstate Commerce, etc...and therefore it was a violation of State Police powers.

Now, does NC have a ban is the better question. What pisses me off is that FL allows me to have a gun in my vehicle on Campus, but my College has a rule that a gun even in your car can get you expelled. So, I am unarmed when I drive to class.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Gun Free Schoolzones Act was overturned by the Supreme Court (SCOTUS) in US vs. Lopez. SCOTUS rules that a school does not have a major effect on Interstate Commerce, etc...and therefore it was a violation of State Police powers.
View Quote

The ONLY reason that the Sup Ct did this is that Congress did not do any "finding of facts" to support the commerce clause justification. This law was reenacted with some minimal BS about guns and schools affecting interstate commerce. Police powers have nothing to do with this...Fed Gov doesn't HAVE police powers, that's why they use the CC to weasel around it.
Also, this law never applied to colleges/universities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top