Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2002 4:42:07 PM EDT
Just came back from the Marion County, IL court house where I went with several other IL gun owers to support Vana Haggerty.

[url]http://www.morningsentinel.com/local1.htm[/url]

She was arrested at a county fairgrounds selling metal (brass) knucles.  She was carrying her pistol unloaded and encased in a fanny pack and she had a valid FOID card.  She was charged with 2 counts Unlawful Use of a Weapon.  One fore selling knuckles the other for having the gun.  A week or two later the SA added a third charge.  [b]Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.[/b]  This was the surprise, as none of us at Concealcarry.org had ever heard of the law.  Well apparently it is hidden in the [b]ARTICLE 21. DAMAGE AND TRESPASS TO PROPERTY[/b] statutes and not in the [b]ARTICLE 24. DEADLY WEAPONS[/b] section with all the other gun laws.  Well the day before the trial the SA dropped the fanny pack carry charge because he new he could not get a conviction.  The jury deliberated for 5 hours and returned a guilty verdict on Count 1 Selling Metal Knuckles and thankfully (and much to our surprise) Not guilty on Count 3 Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.  So what does this mean???

Here is the law:

[b](720 ILCS 5/21-6)
   Sec. 21-6. Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.
   (a)  Whoever possesses or stores any weapon  enumerated  in  Section
33A-1  in  any  building  or  on land supported in whole or in part with
public funds or in any building  on  such  land  without  prior  written
permission  from  the  chief  security officer for such land or building
commits a Class A misdemeanor.
   (b)  The chief security officer must grant  any  reasonable  request
for permission under paragraph (a).
(Source: P.A. 89-685, eff. 6-1-97.)[/b]

This is it, you will notice that unlike the Deadly Weapons statutes there are [b]NO EXEMPTIONS![/b]  Not even for law enforcement!  Now we all know that public lands encompass many, many areas.  How about roads? How about County Fairgrounds?  Thanks to State's Attorney Creason in Marion County who found this law.  If you sell or buy or possess any weapon at a gun show you are breaking the law - even if you follow all the weapons statutes.  Thankfully Vana's attorney recognized this and argued that the law was 'insane' and the jury agreed (nullified) the law.  By the way the Sheriff of Marion County was asked how many times in his 12 years someone has asked for permission, None!  In fact not a single person seems to have been charged with this law, except Vana - yet.  But the next time someone might not be that lucky.  This is going to be something that will be used more now that it has been 'found'.  I guess to go to the range since we drive on land support by public funds we will need to get permission even before going out of our homes!  So much for Gun Shows - they all usually are held on Fairgrounds or other public lands.  Stay Tuned!

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess a FOID card is not a CCW permit and brass knucles are illegal in IL? This is the only way I can see that the charges would stick.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like you need to get some shock ads and get rid of a few laws. -- good luck.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess a FOID card is not a CCW permit and brass knucles are illegal in IL? This is the only way I can see that the charges would stick.
View Quote

Actually she sold half pound novelty paperweights that looked like brass knuckles.  Yes the FOID card is not a CCW, but IL statutes have very strict and explicit wording when it comes to carrying or transporting a firearm:

1) Unloaded
2) In a case
3) Must have a vaild FOID card

That is the law.  IL doesn't mandate where or how a gun can be carried when it follows the above restrictions.  Further, IL does not regulate loaded magazines or the carrying of live ammunition.

We are 3 and 0 so far defending our fannypack carry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The battle is won, but it aint over for a long ass time!
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately IL does NOT have a provision for CCW except for a cop, etc. IM WAITING THOUGH...If we can ever get these liberal(AKA democrats) out of office!!!! [:P]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Concealed carry not the answer

Thursday, January 10, 2002

On Jan. 1, your Public Forum published a letter titled, "Illinois needs concealed-carry law." I would like to respond to that letter because the last thing Illinois or any other state needs is a concealed-carry law.

I realize that some misguided states have enacted conceal-carry laws to satisfy a minority of their citizens. Those states have ignored the right of the rest of their citizens, and visitors to their states, to go about their daily lives without being exposed to the potential danger of bullets fired by people carrying legally concealed firearms.

While I have seen no statistics showing that people are being accidentally shot daily by indiscriminate shooting from people carrying legally concealed firearms, I sincerely doubt that accidental shootings will not occur in the future. One has only to review news reports of the many people killed and injured each year by hunters legally carrying and discharging firearms during the hunting seasons to know that an intended target is not always a proper target, and it is not always the only thing shot. Those wanting concealed-carry laws should be assured that, no matter how well intentioned their actions, they can do more harm than good.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/letters/x10-fd1.htm

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I just wanted to add that I'm quite sure this is NOT c-rock's opinion.  Obviously lifted from a "letters to the editor" column showing what we're up against in this state.

You owe me one dude!!  [;)]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Actually she sold half pound novelty paperweights that looked like brass knuckles.  
View Quote

I question the judgement of anyone who sells these "novelties" at gunshows or flea markets. Why not wave a red flag at a bull? It makes about as much sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top