Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 11:38:07 AM EDT
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. This topic applies both to building and to legal issues, so if it must be moved, so be it.

Here is my question: If the assault weapon ban were reinstated at this very moment, how would our half-completed builds be governed by law? Would a lower receiver, for instance, be grandfathered-in, possible to build up as a post-ban rifle? From what I understand, if an AWB is reinstated, "building" an assault weapon that was not already 100% complete will become illegal. Am I correct in thinking this?

I've been scraping a bit of money together while attending my last year of college, and would like to build a carbine before it becomes illegal. I'm just curious how much money I am going to need to spend, and when, before any legislature has the chance to pass.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It is hard to predict things, especially the future...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You won't know until you read the bill and even then only after the law is passed.  BUT, some of the things I've seen flying around, (and they are some ridiculous proposals, ban M1 Carbines?)  they are bans on new sales and NO turn-in/repossessions.  I very much doubt they would even address half-built AR being assembled by the owner.  Of course, if they ban the sale of parts, then you could be in trouble.  BUT, despite the red hearing argument the anti-gun crowd uses for AWB, that they have to dry up the parts supply, they never ban the sale of parts, which still goes on after the ban.

As well, you have to check the law and interpretations of the authorities that would enforce it, its usually interpreted that once you've purchased and registered the lower receiver, stripped or otherwise, that is the same as purchasing the whole rifle.  So if you got your stripped lower before the ban, your should be safe.  Honestly, who is ever going to know if you finished assembling the rifle before or after the ban?  Of course, if they ban the sale of specific parts, like a flash suppressors and you don't have one yet, then your out of luck, but still in compliance with the law.

Business's will of course stop assembling rifles on the date the ban takes effect, because they can't sell them.  That is what they are usually concerned with, I doubt they will go to the trouble of adding language to prevent private owners with all the parts already from assembling a personal rifle for private use.

We won't know yet, but only if they add to the current proposals that all assembly of rifles must stop on such and such date, only then should you have a problem.  Even then, only if you purchase parts after the deadline that have a record of the sale, would anyone even know that you completed the assembly after the ban date.

Set you priority for parts purchases on the thing most likely to be banned.  Hi-capacity magazines, Flash Suppressors, Barrels with muzzle threads, collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, pistol grips, etc.  Even then, they may only ban those features on new rifles, the sale of parts can continue just as long as you don't put those parts on a Post Ban purchased rifle.  And don't think some states won't have cops at ranges asking to look at your rifle and registration paper work to see if you've added ban features on post ban rifles.

BTW, the definition of an Assault Weapon is a weapon with a selector that allows the a full automatic mode of fire, something already controlled and new manufacturer banned under the machine gun laws.  Every RIFLE or PISTOL on the Assault Weapon Ban List are NOT ASSAULT WEAPONS, by definition.  But, that is a typical tactic of the left, change the language to fool the people.

Likely this time, the law will have a provision that the Attorney General can update the list of banned weapons, and the current attorney general is likely to make sure that anything resembling a "Black Rifle" is going on the list as soon as it appears, so there may be NO MORE POST BAN RIFLES.

I just had a thought for a protest, Pictures of BLACK RIFLES with the Slogan BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL, we can send that to the attorney general. :lol  please do NOT get over sensitive on race, I think that is a clever slogan.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have the lower receiver in hand then I wouldn't worry. The receiver is the "firearm" component regardless if there's a barrel, stock, etc attached to it. If you own it (i.e. - The 4473 has been completed and it's in your name) then it should be grandfathered. If it was like the last AWB then there will still be a supply of component parts and will be sold as "Replacement parts only". This of course could all change depending on how the law would be written.

If I were you, I would still get the components now and stock up on the things that would be targeted to be banned (high cap mags and ammo).

IMO
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. They have been helpful, despite the fact that the specifics of this gun ban are currently totally ambiguous.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't ask - Don't tell -
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Join the NRA is you haven't already.

Contact your elected officials.

Read and understand the Constitution.

Be prepared to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Freedom is not free!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]
this totally does not apply to this forum.

technical = political theory predict whatever.

maybe if people didn't waste time posting chicken littles all day long online and took the time to bother writing their government some letters  . . . .

Seriously, look at how few parts are available, how many new members there are here the crowds at the gun show, if half these people bothered to take part in our governmental process, you wouldn't be concerned, but it is so much similar to post stuff like this online.

[font=Times New Roman]AT THE VERY LEAST JOIN THE NRA[/font=Times New Roman]

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. This topic applies both to building and to legal issues, so if it must be moved, so be it.

Here is my question: If the assault weapon ban were reinstated at this very moment, how would our half-completed builds be governed by law? Would a lower receiver, for instance, be grandfathered-in, possible to build up as a post-ban rifle? From what I understand, if an AWB is reinstated, "building" an assault weapon that was not already 100% complete will become illegal. Am I correct in thinking this?

I've been scraping a bit of money together while attending my last year of college, and would like to build a carbine before it becomes illegal. I'm just curious how much money I am going to need to spend, and when, before any legislature has the chance to pass.
Hang on a minute,

My crystal ball just developed a cloud....................

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...would like to build a carbine before it becomes illegal. I'm just curious how much money I am going to need to spend, and when, before any legislature has the chance to pass.

Hang on a minute,
My crystal ball just developed a cloud....................

Look all over, if you're lucky you may find a stripped lower receiver for under $150.  Once you buy and register that, it most likely will still be considered the same as owning the whole rifle after any ban is put in place.

No one knows, but its possible replacement parts will NOT be banned, so you can continue to purchase the replacement parts to complete your build after the ban.

Next look for 30rd magazines, because they will likely be banned and you will NOT be able to buy them, whether you have an AR or NOT after the ban.

GunBroker.com, its e-bay for firearms.  BUT, like e-bay its a seller's market, yes you know the person with good feedback has the item and will send it as soon as he gets payment, but bidding will drive up the price, right now to twice the retail value.  Supply vs Demand.  That are do a lot of online searching and see if you can find someone that has the stripped lower in stock.  Remember, a stripped lower will have to be sent to an FFL, where he will do the paper work and background check, and you will have to pay fees for that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#10]
The Magic 8 Ball says...

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you have the lower receiver in hand then I wouldn't worry. The receiver is the "firearm" component regardless if there's a barrel, stock, etc attached to it. If you own it (i.e. - The 4473 has been completed and it's in your name) then it should be grandfathered. If it was like the last AWB then there will still be a supply of component parts and will be sold as "Replacement parts only". This of course could all change depending on how the law would be written.

If I were you, I would still get the components now and stock up on the things that would be targeted to be banned (high cap mags and ammo).

IMO

Last time only finished firearms were grandfathered.
If the manufacturer had not finished assembly it  fell under the new rules.

There is no telling what may happen with a new ban, so put the thing together and keep receipts for all the parts to prove the date it was assembled on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I AM NOT A LAWYER, NOR DO I PLAY ON ON THE INTERNET ETC......

Well, last I heard, here in the good old US of A, you were innocent until proven guilty.  So under this pretense, I would guess that the govt has to prove that you did assemble the weapon after a given date.

But, my next question would be, what did someone do to prompt the govt to go after you after for assembling a weapon in this theoretical situation?  People usually don't brag about something blatently & plus, don't tell questionable friends who could get you into trouble.

In my humble opinion, if you have the LPK installed along with a stock assembly, I say the weopon is "done".  Even if you have no upper.  You could borrow an upper from a friend and it will "function".  That's my logic.... oh wait..... the govt is not logical.... usually emotional.  

How much you'll spend To get a functioning lower:
Lower- an where from $100-200 stripped
LPK- going rate on Gunbroker is about $130.00 if you buy it now options.  Brownells lists them for $50-60, but backordered
Stock assembly- under $120 depending what you get.

High end, under $500 bucks... low end $300.  I know I'm off a bit.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I suspect the paperweight would become a regulated firearm as soon as you reach the 81% point.

If that moment occurs after whatever prohibiting legislation became law, it would be your tough luck.

That being said, it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for anyone to lay on proof of that - unless you were an idiot and confessed.

Of course, if they ban possession altogether - which they'd do if they could - it wouldn't matter when you completed the build.

Join the NRA and raise hell with your politicians.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]
if your broke at the very least buy a tele-stock. this piece alone would make an assault weapon under the ban and thus as long as you get that far you have already met the requirments to finish it in pre-ban config.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
if your broke at the very least buy a tele-stock. this piece alone would make an assault weapon under the ban and thus as long as you get that far you have already met the requirments to finish it in pre-ban config.

Yup.  Put the tele stock on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top