Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 5:58:04 PM EDT
Just got a new paintball gun for Christmas and am thinkig of making a suppressor/ barrel extension. Can anyone advise of any known legal complications of this under Federal or Florida law?

Thanks for any and all replies.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Muzlblast,
Be very careful making a suppressor for your paintball gun.  The BATF considers any homemade suppressor as being capable of working on a firearm.  Unless you live in a state where suppressors are legal, I would be very careful.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
several people were selling them on eBay last year

pretty simple slip on PVC tubes stuffed with aquarium filter floss

many Paintball guns are open bolt so alot of sound exits the rear of the action

The BATF has a specific note on Paintball Silencers

let me look...
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a9

(A9) Q. Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers legal? [Back]
A. §921(a)(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.
Numerous paintball silencers tested by the Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C., Section 921(a)(24). An individual wishing to manufacturer a firearm silencer must receive prior approval from ATF by submitting an ATF Form 1 and paying a $200 making tax.
If I have any further questions as to this classification, who should I contact?
Please send a written request to our Firearms Technology Branch at the following address:
Bureau of ATF
Firearms Technology Branch
650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Room 6450
Washington, DC 20226

see also:
http://www.corin.com/bill/paintball/silencer.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey muzlblast, I am working on my uhh....barrel extension for my paintball gun too.  Let me know how yours turns out.

[marines]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Think if you made a supressor for a airsoft gun and registered it like above you could use it on a real gun? [>:/] (and no im not talking about making it out of pvc)

edit: wait that is the same process you have to go through to get a real one also isnt it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top