Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 11:06:19 AM EDT
Guys My brother is looking to get an ffl so as to buy firearms without going to a gunstore or relying on someone else's ffl for recieving but the info on the atf sight was fairly thin. I need to know how a person can get an ffl for the soul perpose of buying firearms without a firearms business. Also if anyone could provide info on what the forms look like (not the actual forms of course due to legal reasons) then id be very thankful.

thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to have a business location and hours that you are open to the public.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that 6 or 7 years ago here in Philly there was a big "crackdown" on what the papers called "kitchen table ffl dealers." I'm not sure if the law changed on the federal level or what but they closed down all the guys that did'nt have acctual stores.

The papers said that there was more ffl dealers in Philly then all Burger kings, mcdonalds, taco bells, kfc's, and gas stations combined ! Shit thats the way it should be.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guys My brother is looking to get an ffl so as to buy firearms without going to a gunstore or relying on someone else's ffl for recieving but the info on the atf sight was fairly thin. I need to know how a person can get an ffl for the soul perpose of buying firearms without a firearms business. Also if anyone could provide info on what the forms look like (not the actual forms of course due to legal reasons) then id be very thankful.

thanks.
View Quote

As said previously, the FFL is a dealers license. IE to run a business. They will not give out a FFL to just be able to buy guns like you describe. Unless you are talking about a C&R.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The only license which can be used solely for enhancing your personal collection, and not running a firearms business is the Type 03 FFL - C&R Collector.

It allows you to buy guns anywhere, and without a background check, in addition to receiving them direct to your home from out of state, but only if the gun in question qualifies as a 'curio or collectible'.  It's no good for getting modern arms.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You could try for an 07 FFL. I know of a number of people who have been rezoned to obtain a Type 07 AKA Manufacturer's Lisence.

Many will post their "business" on Gunbroker, etc as a Transfer Dealer. If you undercut the rest, you can obtain enough transfer business to not be viewed as a Kitchen Table Dealer. You might also wish to run some guns through yourself to up sales. You could buy guns, then resell them to friends in order to up your sales. Perhaps a friend wants an AAR-15. You offer to buy it at Dealer Pricing and resell it to him for somewhere between your price and the going rate in your area.

One guy rented a small office in the back of a store to use as a storefront. You can make guns for friends then use the profit to show that you are legit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:07:55 AM EDT
[#7]
cc48510,

That seems like alot of trouble to go thru just to get and keep a ffl. It doesn't seem like it would save you money in the end, especially your example of the guy with a small store front IMHO.

As for the C&R lic, who exactly determines if a firearm qualifies as a curio or relic ?  Is there a list or does each purchase have to be approved ?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The ATF has a C&R list. For the most part it isn't very good for getting Non-Class 3 Guns. On Class 3 it would be usefull as alot of Machine Guns are C&R. I.E. Tommy Guns, SG-44s, a few early ARs, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top