Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 5:00:25 AM EDT
I am transferring a pre-ban lower (AR-15) to a resident of another state. He is transfering a rifle to me in exchange. My FFL says I must ship my lower through him after he receives a signed FFL license from the other guys FFL holder in the other state, and the out of state rifle must come from FFL holder in the other state.I have heard diffrent.QUESTION; Can I ship my lower direct to FFL holder in the other state for transfer to the other guy? Can other guy ship direct to my FFL for transfer to me? Do we have to have signed copies of each others FFL holder before shipping? Send or cite regulation?? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Read these: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81298[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=71438[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=73174[/url]

[b]Can I ship my lower direct to FFL holder in the other state for transfer to the other guy?[/b]

Yes

[b]Can other guy ship direct to my FFL for transfer to me?[/b]

Yes

[b]Do we have to have signed copies of each others FFL holder before shipping?[/b]

IMHO it would be a good idea.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
For rifles and shotguns (and the receivers of each), you may send it directly to the FFL in the buyer's state. Get a copy of the FFL and send it to the address on the FFL.

For handguns, it must go FFL to FFL for an interstate transfer.

Your FFL may have his own policy. He may not accept a direct shipment from the guy sending the rifle to you. However, there is no reason to ship yours out through him.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For handguns, it must go FFL to FFL for an interstate transfer.
View Quote

BZZZT!  Wrong answer - the handgun can go direct, as well.  The only difference with handguns is that they cannot go US Mail except dealer to dealer - and UPS/Fedex/Airborne all require that handguns go by overnight delivery (much more expensive).  A dealer can send it to another dealer by priority mail, which is much cheaper.

Your FFL may have his own policy. He may not accept a direct shipment from the guy sending the rifle to you. However, there is no reason to ship yours out through him.
View Quote

Correct - as long as the other guy's FFL doesn't mind receiving it direct.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for responding.I found the USC at Cornell, read sec. 922, seemed to me I could do the shipping myself. Called a long time friend (FFL), he told me ATF implementing regs read diffrent. Scrached my head (USC seemed plain to me),called ATF Portland OR, talked to an inspector, (he sounded about 14 yrs. old),HE said just what you all have, Yes, I CAN ship direct to an out of state FFL for the transfer.So I did! Enjoy the Bushie pre-ban lower Crowboy! Thanks again guys.....[bounce]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top