Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2001 11:39:48 PM EDT
Is it legal in Florida to have my "truck gun" loaded, but without a round in the chamber, if it is in a soft case in a LOCKED truck box? my "truck gun" is a lever action Marlin 1894s in .44 mag, i think it holds 10 rounds.
Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell Yeah...Check out FL Statute Chapter 790. It says firearms must be securely encased. But, at the bottom it says that this shall not apply to anything other than handguns. It says outright that Longguns may be carried in any way you see fit in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
here is a link. More to come.

[url]http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/titl0790.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Florida Statutes 790.25(5):

(5)  POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
One more thing, Shrike. Was you gun made before 1917 ? If so, it is not even considered a firearm by the state of Florida.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks cc48510. No the rifle was not made before 1917, it is a reproduction. i think it was made in the early 1990's.
Thanks again
Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top