Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2001 8:55:37 PM EDT
[b]I cant remember where I heard this but anyone have some info on the matter?
THANKS!
~Ric[/b]
[USA]
[B]"IF YOUR NOT A PART OF THE SOLUTION,YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!"--JOIN THE NRA![/B]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure, but I know Florida has a clause in it's Background CHeck Law that says it expires in June 2002. There is a footnote that this has something to do with a Feeral Law which takes effect/expires then.

You may also be thinking about the 1994 AW Ban which expires on September 14, 2004.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm not sure, but I know Florida has a clause in it's Background CHeck Law that says it expires in June 2002. There is a footnote that this has something to do with a Feeral Law which takes effect/expires then.

You may also be thinking about the 1994 AW Ban which expires on September 14, 2004.
View Quote

[b]Do you know where I can get more info on the "AW" ban?[/b]
[i][b]"IF YOUR NOT A PART OF THE SOLUTION,YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!"--JOIN THE NRA![/b][/i]
[bday][b]~~TO: Jesus![/b]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html[/url]

It is in Subsection (v)
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I must have missed it, but I went to the link and to the Subsection (v) that cc48510 referenced, and I can't find anything that says the law sunsets.  Any help here?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Just as a point of interest, are any of you aware that in 1996, the U.S. House of Representatives introduced, debated, and PASSED a repeal of the 1994 assault weapons ban?

Yes, this happened.  The vote was a clear majority in favor of the repeal.                         [:D]

But, it was then sent to the Senate, and promptly disappeared into a committee, never to be seen again.  [>Q]

All perfectly true.  

CJ

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just as a point of interest, are any of you aware that in 1996, the U.S. House of Representatives introduced, debated, and PASSED a repeal of the 1994 assault weapons ban?

Yes, this happened.  The vote was a clear majority in favor of the repeal.                         [:D]

But, it was then sent to the Senate, and promptly disappeared into a committee, never to be seen again.  [>Q]

All perfectly true.  

CJ

View Quote

Any way we can trace where it went?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I pulled up the information on the bill from the house website [url]http://www.house.gov[/url] and it shopws everything that happened in the house, then it being sent to the Senate. It was in fact a very clear majority/landslide. I pulled up the Senate's website and couldn't find dirt quat on what happned after it hit the Senate. it seems after the Senate got it, it just disappeared. It was probably tossed in the garbage (figuratively speaking) Either way it never made it past the first commitee in the Senate. So, it kinda never made it to the Senate as it never got to the floor of the Senate. No matter what it was doomed to fail. Had it made it to the floor of the Senate, it may have been passed by a very small margin. But, at the time Bill Clinton was president and he publicly stated he wouldn't sign it. So, it woulda been vetoed no matter what the Senate did. But, had that happened maybe a few more gunowners would place the blame square on the Democrats where it belongs. Republicans did in fact do everything they could to repeal the bill. Gengrich kept his word. It passed the House, even with Schumer's flaming rhetoric about owners of "Assault Weapons" being murderers and complete scum who commit genocide and mayhem with those guns.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I must have missed it, but I went to the link and to the Subsection (v) that cc48510 referenced, and I can't find anything that says the law sunsets.  Any help here?
View Quote

Try this.  Go to http://thomas.loc.gov/

Click on the 'Bill Text' link.

Click on the '103' link (for 103rd Congress, 1993-1994).

Do a search for bill "H.R.3355.ENR" (ENR = "enrolled", meaning that was the bill that was passed by both houses of Congress, and sent to the President for his signature) exactly as it appears in the quotes.  There are many versions of each bill, but the ENR version is the important one, as President Clinton signed that one into law.

When it comes up (very long), scroll down to "Title XI. Firearms".  Click the link "SEC. 110105. EFFECTIVE DATE."  The sunset provision is right there.

I'd give you a direct link, but the results of thomas searches expire very quickly, so it wouldn't be valid.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Bubbles,
 Thanks, I found it.  It amazes me that it actually sunsets, but I am sure the Democrats will make every effort to repeal the sunset by attaching a repeal to every piece of legislation that comes before either house of Congress beginning any time now.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually the Brady Law won't expire, but the Assualt Weapons Ban will.

Effective and Termination Dates of 1994 Amendment

Here is the relevent section:

Section 110105 of title XI of Pub. L. 103-322 provided that: ``This
subtitle [subtitle A (Secs. 110101-110106) of title XI of Pub. L. 103-
322, amending this section and sections 922 to 924 of this title and
enacting provisions set out as notes under this section] and the
amendments made by this subtitle--
       ``(1) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act
   [Sept. 13, 1994]; and
       ``(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years
   after that date.''

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
You DO realize, of course, that IF the AW ban is actually permitted to expire without renewal, then we'll have to figure out what title to refer to these various 'period pieces' as.

Pre-ban is pretty self-explanatory, but post-ban will probably mutate to 'mid-ban' to leave room for 'post-ban' in its new form.

Just hope and pray that we actually get to worry about this naming issue.  Write those letters to not just YOUR elected officials, but to others as well.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know where I can find out if there have been anyone charged or convicted for the 94 AW ban?
THANKS!
[b]"IF YOUR NOT A PART OF THE SOLUTION,YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!"--JOIN THE NRA![/b]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I just came across another Sunset provision which may effect possitively (or negatively) the 1994 AW Ban's Sunset.

It is called the "Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988." It is Public Law 100-649. It created:

18 USC 44 Sec. 922(p),
18 USC 44 Sec. 924(f), and
18 USC 44 Sec. 925(f).

These provisons make it illegal to make, sell, or possess a gun that is undetectable by airport security. This law is set to expire November 10, 2003.

The upside is, that it is possible that in light of current events that Congress might be too busy with this to notice the 1994 AW Ban is sunsetting. Downside is the Democrap may try to tack an extension to the 94 Ban onto any legislation to extend the ban on so called "Plastic Guns".

This would be interesting to watch. If this sunset goes through (Highly Doubtfull), then we can be almost 100% sure the AW Ban will sunset.

Another interesting issue is that the law was originally set to sunset Novermber 10, 1998. The sunset was extended/delayed 5 years by Congress in 1998.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I found out about the UFA88 a while ago. See here:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=74890[/url]

And it expires the 30th of November, not the 10th, because the didn't become effective until the 30th day, and the sunset provision said it expires 15 years after the effective date, which was the 30th. Just FYI. See the link above for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top