Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2001 11:33:59 PM EDT
26 USC 53 Sec.5845(b)--

(b) Machinegun
The term "machinegun" means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
View Quote

I have been thinking about getting an M16 Selector for my AR-15. I would like to do this as it would allow my selector to pivot into the 3rd Position. I could have it engraved with something like "Postal" or whatever. It would look kinda cool. I have already checked and my Rifle contains no M16 Parts.

So, from what I have read in 26 USC 53 Sec. 5845(b) this would not meet definitions 1 or 2 of a MG. But, I have heard tell that the ATF believes even a single M16 Part constitutes an MG as per defintions 3 and 4, even if it does not allow Full-Auto Fire. I do not wish to spend 10 Years in a Federally Funded Hotel, so I am posting this to ask what people here think about the question.

Machine Gun--

1) any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

2) the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

[red]3) any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun[/red]

[red]4) any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.[/red]

NOMEX FLAME SUIT ONE. THIS IS A LEGITIMATE QUESTION, SO NO FLAMES PLEASE.

[pyro][peep]
[pyro][peep]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the selector, remove the AR selector and compare. You will see the center "tongue" will be there that is NOT on the AR in the same position. Just take a file and remove that material so it looks like the AR selector. NO more material to release the disconnector. Should be fine?? You should consider a little more "Politically Correct" term for your third position, as we firearm owners don't need to be looked at as being "postal".

I am no legal expert, nor do I play one on tv. So enter at your own risk.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm.  That would still leave the slot that controls the tail of an M16 autosear - a cutout that isn't there on an AR-15 selector.

Wouldn't it be simple enough to drill the third detent stop for the third position then needle-file the detent pin channel until you have a working 3-position selector that is less legally questionable?
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hmmmm.  That would still leave the slot that controls the tail of an M16 autosear - a cutout that isn't there on an AR-15 selector.
View Quote

Should not matter, the lowers unmachined area still blocks "auto seal tail" installation, besides the upper area is not machined to accept sear, and not drilled for sear pin. Also the part will have the "disconnector trip" removed from the third position, though it would in all reality act as "SAFE", provided it had an AR trigger with the rear lip intact, or function "semi" in the 3rd position with the trip removed from the selector.

Wouldn't it be simple enough to drill the third detent stop for the third position then needle-file the detent pin channel until you have a working 3-position selector that is less legally questionable?
View Quote
Depends on the material, and if it is hardened.

I am not a legal expert, nor do I play one on tv. Enter at your own risk.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
POSTAL.... WAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! DO IT FORGET WHAT THE Goody two shoes say!!! ROTFLMAO!!!![heavy]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd modify the selector as SBR7_11 says and you should be good to go.  Modification of the markings on the lower is fine as long as you don't mess with the essential info (serial number, manufacturer, etc.).  You can however, have the third selector stop engraved with "POSTAL",  "AUTO", "YEEE-HAAA!!!", or whatever you want for appearance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top