Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2001 10:24:46 AM EDT
All of the ATF opinion letters I've seen say that it is ok to replace parts on pre-ban hi-cap mags without losing their status. I've looked at the law and find nothing prohibiting the repacement of the mag body. If I only had the guts, I'd quit my attorney job and be in the manufacturing business asap.

You could do like they do with lower receivers. Send in the broken or defective mag body (that way you know you are replacing it) and you send them a new mil-spec mag body for $20.

If you produce enough, I'll bet the manufacturing costs are down to about $1.98 per unit! Make them pay shipping. Think of the profits!

If I only had the guts... well, for now I'll keep dreaming. (If any of you yahoos want to give it a try, I'll donate some time to your criminal defense efforts - (at least until it becomes burdensome, then good luck reaching me)).

Right-to-Bear
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The problem is, no one would pay you anywhere close to $20 per mag body.  You'd be very lucky to get any decent volume at $5 per mag body.  Which is why no one has done it yet....
View Quote

Used bodies for 30-round USGI magazines (with floorplates) are presently going for about $15 - $20 in Californistan, where it is illegal to import, manufacture, or transfer any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds.  Replacement parts are legal to import.  The law makes no distinction as to what constitutes a legal replacement part and what does not.  If you ask a Caliban Department of Justice deputy minister about the legality of importing magazine bodies you will get unpredictable results, but there's clearly nothing in the law to prohibit it.

As Cali goes so goes the nation, unfortunately.  I agree with Troy that eventually market conditions will make it feasible to tool up and manufacture just magazine bodies.  However, that will inevitably lead to a government crackdown on the "magazine body loophole".  Expect the feds to do that 1 - 2 years after the Caliban figures it out.

Get them while you can.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that you are both right. My comments were only in gest as far as potential profits, etc. But why don't some of the current manufactures sell body replacements? They are already tooled up to make LEO mags. What is stopping them from selling replacements? We all agree that "at present time" it is not illegal. If the government closes any loophole, then they simply cut back production to LEO again. They have the machines already, I guess they just need to find some balls.

Right-to-Bear
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
California Kid, were in Caliban are you finding used mag bodies w/floorplates? I haven't seen any around LA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't seen anyone so brazen as to sell them from a storefront or at a gun show.

They are sometimes available by mail order.

I don't want to get any more specific than that on the board.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top