Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2001 8:34:22 PM EDT
I am new to the boards. I have been lurking about for a couple of weeks. I have been involved mainly with C&R's and AK's in the past. Now I have a pre-ban SP1.

I hope someone has some insight into this. I was wondering if the SP1 could legally be converted to full auto. If so what is the price range. Does the pre-ban status of the weapon have anything to do with whether or not it can be converted. Or am I stuck with the option of purchasing a transferable rifle?

Thanks for any help...

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your stuck with shelling out the cash for an honest Class III M-16.

A lot easier than going to the big house.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was wondering if the SP1 could legally be converted to full auto.
View Quote

No.  No receiver conversions.  Only by the purchase of a registered DIAS or Lightning Link can you "make" your SP1 an auto, legally.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, by a Class 2 manufacturer - but you couldn't own it after the conversion.

The only way to go full auto with an SP-1 now is to buy a registered machinegun conversion like a lightning link or drop-in auto sear.  It's not really 'converting' the SP-1 that way, just allowing full auto fire with a drop-in conversion system.

pre/post ban means nothing for machineguns.

If you got a drop-in conversion, you might want to buy a post-ban gun to install it in, and save wear and tear on a more valuable pre-ban rifle.

Lightning links usually run about $2500.
Drop-in Sears start at $4000
transferrable conversions start in the low $4000's
Factory M16's usually start upwards of $5500
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]
What are Lightning links? Where can I find  more information on these and where can I purchase these (legally of course)? I would like to do a little research to compare and contrast the various alternatives posted above.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Now I am confused.  What you are saying is that I can buy a postban Bushmaster (or any other rifle), buy a $2500 Lightning link and now I have a machine gun?  Same thing with the drop-in sear?  I thought a machine gun had to be registered before the cut-off in 86, and by definition, the receiver is the gun.  So how can you take a gun made in 2000 and turn it into a legal registered machine gun?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#7]
The lightning link and dias when properly registered are considered the machine gun. Both of these have to have been registered before the cut off date in earlier years.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Would our post-ban example have to remain a post ban?  Once the registered sear is installed, does this exempt the gun from the AW ban of 94?  Does the receiver have to be modified to use one of these devices?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
While the link or DIAS is installed, the rifle is not subject to the 94 AW ban.  Take the link out, and the rifle must be rendered post-ban compliant again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Where can I find either registered LL's or DIAS"s for sales?
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/nfaad.cgi[/url].. HAPPY SHOPPING!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks to all who responded. This has been very enlightening. I guess I better save up some greenbacks. Also I may want to purchase a decent gun safe. This is not the sort of thing you leave laying around in your closet for any common criminal to get his hands on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top