Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2001 8:57:24 PM EDT

some guy on a different board said it was legal for flash hider on post ban....how come they don't normally come on rifles then?  i'm guessing he was wrong?...
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, he was wrong.  You can have a muzzle brake, but not a flash hider on a postban.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]

thats what i thought...just checking to see if i missed something on that.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a question of terminology.  There is a difference between a flash 'hider' and a flash 'suppressor'.

Flash suppressors are forbidden on post-ban semi-autos with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip.

Flash hiders (which do not suppress flash) are not forbidden.

A flash hider like the old-style M1 carbine conical flash hiders do not suppress flash - merely shield the shooter's eyes from the worst effects of the muzzle blast.  They are not prohibited if they don't suppress muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a question of terminology.  There is a difference between a flash 'hider' and a flash 'suppressor'.

Flash suppressors are forbidden on post-ban semi-autos with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip.

Flash hiders (which do not suppress flash) are not forbidden.

A flash hider like the old-style M1 carbine conical flash hiders do not suppress flash - merely shield the shooter's eyes from the worst effects of the muzzle blast.  They are not prohibited if they don't suppress muzzle flash.
View Quote

Oh, c'mon now Circuits; you think a "flash hider" would not be ruled by BATF to be the same (for purposes of 922(v)) as a "flash supressor"?  Consider a sound supressor; they are considered flash supressors even though they merely hide the flash from view.  Also consider the early M16 flash supressors which were ruled to be sound supressors requiring registration when in private hands because they had the collateral effect of a mere 1-2dB reduction of sound.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, shaggy - you gotta take what you can, given the wording of the law.

I do think a conical flash hider could not be shown to be a flash suppressor, since any objective measurement would show similar muzzle signatures.  If a brake or compensator can pass muster as not being a flash suppressor, then a conical flash hider certainly could.

I don't see much demand for them, though - it just doesn't look right on an AR.  It might have some limited application for low-light shooting, if available in a clamp-on version not requiring muzzle threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top