Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2001 7:09:08 PM EDT
I was visiting my Uncle a few weeks ago and the topic came up of his .45 Pistol. He said, if it was legal, he would trade it to me for one of my rifles.

The only problem is I am only 20 y/o, and won't be 21 for almost another year.

So, I looked over Chapter 790 of the Florida Statutes and could find no references in relation to a Private transfer of a handgun to a person between 18 and 21. I know, no dealer can sell me one. But, that is a Federal Law. I can't get a CCW, but it would be nice to have a .45 in my collection. I know, in some states (Indiana) anybody over 18 can be given a Handgun by a family member. So, I don't see any Federal Legal issue.

But, on the off chance I may have missed something. Is there any obscure State or Federal Law prohibiting my Uncle from giving me his .45 Pistol ?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about FL gun laws,and I sure wouldn't want to anything illegal.But unless you tell everyone you meet or do something stupid with the pistol,WHO WOULD KNOW?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
According to: "Florida Firearms" by Jon H. Gutmacher " Under Florida and Federal law, any citizen of the age of eighteen years, or more, who is not under some other legal disability, may [i]possess or own a hangun[/i], rifle or shotgun.(his italics)
In other words-- even if it would be illegal to purchase a handgun from a licenced firearms dealer because your not yet 21 -- it may still be legal for you to purchase, or recieve it privately -- as long as your at least 18 years of age, or older, and suffer no other legal disqualification."
This is the Florida firearms law "bible".. 1999 edition. check his website for updates
Cheers  BP
(edited to remove dead link)
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top